Aurelia - which engine oil

Appia, Aprilia, Ardea, Artena, Astura, Augusta, Belna, Aurelia, Dilambda, Lambda and earlier
Geoff

Re: Aurelia - which engine oil

Unread post by Geoff »

I use Castrol 10W50 in my cars, which I believe is a semi-synthetic oil. I had heard pure synthetics are for more contemporary cars, with tight tolerances, although some disagree. Some even go so far as use the old Penn-rite oil, which I think is pure mineral, with zinc or use an additive to protect the valve seats, but luckily I have no had issues.

For the front suspension and rear trans, non-synthetic oil, straigthweight (not multi-grade) oil. For the trans, make sure its non-EP, but straight 90 oil, for the synchros need the resistance of the older oil to work.

Also important is the filtration - I replaced the mesh filter on my B20 with a full flow spin on paper filter (you can get bolt-on adapters), and upgraded the oil pump to deal with that. If you plan to use your older Aurelia a lot, its something to think about. Also changed from babbitt to shell bearings.

Please check this info locally with folks you trust. These are general thoughts only.
Geoff Goldberg

1952 B20 s.2
1957 B24 s.6
1959 Appia Berlina s.2
Parisien

Unread post by Parisien »

Thank you Geoff, your fulsome response, and thoughts appreciated.

P
jean-marie

Unread post by jean-marie »

An idea. Original.
Attachments
aurelia  oils.jpg
aurelia oils.jpg (172.04 KiB) Viewed 6615 times
Parisien

Unread post by Parisien »

Merci Jean-Marie.