Aurelia - which engine oil

Appia, Aprilia, Ardea, Artena, Astura, Augusta, Belna, Aurelia, Dilambda, Lambda and earlier
iwc852

Aurelia - which engine oil

Unread post by iwc852 »

Hello,

Being new to the A-Lancias I have a question regarding my B10 Berlina: what kind of engine oil is being recommended for this engine (has no replaceable paper oil filter). The engine has been completetly restored about 4t km ago and does not seem to consume a lot of oil.
Any experience or tips are welcome,

Thanks,
Christian
PG
Site Admin

Re: Aurelia - which engine oil

Unread post by PG »

Hello Christian, here is a list written by Geoff Goldberg.
Attachments
aurelia lubricants.pdf
(36.35 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
iwc852

Unread post by iwc852 »

Thank you.

in the meantime I did some research and what I found is that for engines without paper oilfilters single weight oils without detergents is often recommended. And this is still available in line with the original 30W specification from Castrol or Liqui Moly.
Hence I am now running the Liqui Moly Classic 30W.
The question still open to me: wouldn't it be better to use a modern multi-weight and change more frequently???

Unfortunately this topic has too many experts and too little data :-)
racing

Unread post by racing »

"wouldn't it be better to use a modern multi-weight and change more frequently"

It is a question of the engine status. If it was totally rebuild and cleaned ( means particularly the crankshaft, Oil channel`s and so on; )
and used modern materials ( seals etc.) i would use synthetic oil.

If not use standard mineral oil to avoid that oil mud will get in the circuit. Modern synthetic Oil has a lot of dissolvent ( hope that is the correct word )
compared with mineral oil. (See pic´s what can be inside the crankshaft )

Best regards

Andreas
Attachments
img_0337.jpg
img_0337.jpg (63.96 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
img_0335.jpg
img_0335.jpg (107.59 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
Geoff

Unread post by Geoff »

FWIW, some of us running the older engines converted the oil filter housing to allow a spin on, full filtration filter. If you plan on using the car a lot, I'd recommend that. Walt Spak (prior to his passing) made the conversion kit, and also changed the oil pump to the later series (more flow, more pressure). You might talk to Bob Williams in Pittsburgh if interested - I don't know if he has the parts or not.
Geoff Goldberg

1952 B20 s.2
1957 B24 s.6
1959 Appia Berlina s.2
iwc852

Unread post by iwc852 »

Thanks a lot Geoff -- but as I am not driving a lot, I rather want to keep things original.
And oil pressure is actrually very good and coming really quickly.
lucasgeheniau

Unread post by lucasgeheniau »

Hi,

When not using the modern oils, keep in mind that oil changes must be yearly at least, specially if you do not drive much.

Cheers

Lucas
Parisien

Unread post by Parisien »

Just to re-awaken this thread, my B12 engine has just been rebuilt completely, is Geoffs recommendation on the pdf fine to go with or should I think of something else?

Thanks
Geoff

Unread post by Geoff »

The list in the PDF is a summary of Lancia's recommendations from some 50 years ago. Each of these need to be checked against current thinking.

For engine oil, I typically run 20W 50. Santos Spadaro told me he is running 10W 60 in his Aurelia B10.

In general,for Aurelia use today, summer heat is more an issue than winter starting.
Geoff Goldberg

1952 B20 s.2
1957 B24 s.6
1959 Appia Berlina s.2
Parisien

Unread post by Parisien »

Thanks Geoff, so mineral, semi or fully synthetic, upsides or downside of using the previously listed?

P

Return to “75 Early Cars”