unknown pre-war lancia Truck at Ebay

Jorn van Beckhoven

unknown pre-war lancia Truck at Ebay

Unread post by Jorn van Beckhoven »

okay as this forum is rather empty i thought i would repost it here to get some more people to this one; at the moment a 1923 Lancia Truck is advertised through Ebay in the UK. does anyone know what model it is or what regalur car it was derived from. have a look at it at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=18305

happy motoring,
Jorn
Sebastien Simon

Re: pre-war lancia Truck: A Triota?

Unread post by Sebastien Simon »

I think it is a Triota,built from 1921-1922. By looking at the very recommended book "Camion Lancia", I see that there was a batch delivered to the Royal Ulster constabulary. Another one is shown in the above book, with number plate 01-1323. Engine tipo 64, 4940 cc, 4 cylinder, side-valves, detachable cylinder head, 70 bhp @ 2200 RPM. Engine is the same as for the Kappa car. Book says only two of those Triotas are surviving, so it would fit.
But you should ask the seller to be sure!
Sebastien Simon

Re: pre-war lancia Truck: No bid!

Unread post by Sebastien Simon »

No surprise with this auction. There was no bid, at a starting price of GBP 8'000. Hopefully we shall see it advertised where it belongs, in "Viva-Lancia". Or will it be shown at the next "Pebble Beach" sale? Remember the Appia furgoncino that made an incredible amount there!
Jorn van Beckhoven

Re: pre-war lancia Truck: No bid!

but then again that is a much more fashionable model, in a bad case you might even need a driver's license for a truck. It is already re-registered with a lower opening bid (but still with a reserve on it) and has attracted some bidding but not enough to reach the reserve the yet.

personally i would prefer the Ardea furgoncino over this truck. interestingly this would make the other survivor as it is not the registration of the one in the book.
Jorn van Beckhoven

Re: pre-war lancia Truck: No bid! - again not sold

again not sold, bu then again the seller does have a negative feedback and hasnt answered my questions about the vehicle so if he does not answer any other bidder's questions i can see why the bidding is this low.

anyway interestngly to see what happens now.
J.I.B. Intl.Style Design

Re: pre-war lancia Truck: No bid! - again not sold

Unread post by J.I.B. Intl.Style Design »

You got it right,but let's not jump to any conclusion,there are a lot of unknown factors here,maybe his(the seller's) comuter crashed?.or He sold that"Lancia"(in that case,Good manners should prevail!).Jorn van Beckhoven wrote:
>
> again not sold, bu then again the seller does have a negative
> feedback and hasnt answered my questions about the vehicle so
> if he does not answer any other bidder's questions i can see
> why the bidding is this low.
>
> anyway interestngly to see what happens now.
peter conway

Unread post by peter conway »

Hi i was just searching for info about the lancia triota truck as i am researching there use with the Irish armed Forces seemingly 25 of these trucks was purchased in1925 but there is no standing history of there particular uses except as armored rail cars. I would applicate any info you have or any other person that i could talk to about these vehicles or if you have any photographs i would be very grateful to you.

regards
Peter
Brian Hilton

Unread post by Brian Hilton »

Hi Peter,
Are you talking Irish Repuplic or Ulster?
Have you seen "Camion Lancia"? on page 15 there is an entry, "The British had come to appreciate Italian Lorries during the Great War and they bought a large batch of "Triota" chassis, soft skin and armoured versions, for The Royal Ulster Constabulary in Northern Ireland. The armoured vehicles were said to have remained in service until the 2nd World War". On page 16 is a photo of a armoured version that is kept in the Military Motor Museum in Rome. the markings on the side state " 17th Battalion Tank Corps, Armoured Car."
Also on the same page is a photo of a soft skin version from the same batch delivered to the Royal Ulster Constabulary, restored in the 1980's by an English enthusiast.
If your reference is regarding the Irish Republic I would have thought it highly likely they would probably have been the same or similar to those supplied to the Royal Ulster Constabulary.

Regards
Brian Hilton
Ralph Riccio

Unread post by Ralph Riccio »

Brian et al:

Just came across this thread. I am hoping to publish a book on armor in Irish service 1922 to present. One area of perplexity is the Lancia armored troop carriers (armoured lorries in British English). Lots of numbers out there on armored Lancias, not many of which make total sense to me (depending on how you interpret, add, and interpolate, anywhere from 154 or so to possibly about 200). There were two models of Lancia that were armored, the Iota (or Jota) and the Triota, but there seems to be no credible breakout between the two types. See Karl Martin's "Irish Army Vehicles" and David Dunne's "Armoured and heavy Vehicles of the RUC" for more. There are two, possibly three armored Triotas still in existence: one at the Museo della motorizzazione Militare in Rome (with spurious British markings), and one, restored, at the Ulster Folk museum (I believe that's the correct title) that is the one pictured in Dunne's book. The third, which may be either a Iota or Triota, used to belong to an English collector, but it seems to have "gone missing" now for a number of years. I'm trying to track down more info (am in contact with Dunne, as well as other knowledgeable folks) and trying to come to some kind of informed guess on the subject. There's plenty more to it, such as where they actually were assembled (Dublin Inchicore, Belfast, or both), whether they were all issued only to the RIC (later RUC) or were some issued to the British Army in Ireland (some had Army registration numbers, others, even those in southern Ireland, were licensed in Belfast). That's enough for now. If anyone out there has anything to add, or miraculously has any unpublished pictures, let me know. E-mail me at raphaelriccio@msn.com Thanks. Ralph

Return to “85 Lancia trucks and busses”