What is general opinion on Thesis?

Merijn

Re: What is general opinion on Thesis?

Unread post by Merijn »

I also think You really have to 'get used' to most Lancia sedan designs. Look at a car like the Trevi, or indeed the Lybra. On the other hand thy both do inpress on the inside; great interior styling! I think it is the same with the Thesis. Lancia just can't seem to build a car that everyone instantly likes, like the Alfa 156.

On coupe designs of the past they did a much better job, but I'm affraid that they are not going to build a coupe anymore.

greetings
Ryan

Unread post by Ryan »

Yeah, I do not think they will make a coupe either. You are right about
their coupes/sport cars. Who can not love the Fulvia, Stratos, or
Delta Integrale Evoluzione at first sight! :> The person should have a
heart of stone not to love those cars.

I don't know, this is a problem for Lancia sedans? Somehow I do not
feel Robinson is so talented that he was able to understand this
characteristic of Lancia.. and implement it in his designs..hehe.

The Lybra is 'good enough', and quite nice in many ways. I'm still
disappointed in the Thesis. I hope it is nicer when I first see it... but
I still can't believe Robinson made it look like an American Lincoln/
Cadillac. Yes, he is an American, so maybe his culture came through..
but it should not when you are working to create an Italian Lancia! :<

Oh well!

take care,

Ryan
Erwin

Unread post by Erwin »

A Lancia should grow on you. Many great Lancia's of the past had this quality (Flaminia, Aurelia GT, Fulvia etc). That's the whole idea of Lancia styling. A Lancia MUST be controversial, outstanding, out of the ordinary. And this discussion only proves that the Thesis is a design in the true Lancia style, finally...
Thomas Herbsthofer

Unread post by Thomas Herbsthofer »

We should give Lancia a chance to come back - I will judge the Thesis after its
arrival .
However , Lancia is ignoring its past filled up with Cabriolets , Coupes and sporty
winners . Lancia always was made from connaisseurs for connaisseurs .
Maybe modern calculation doesnot allow , but I am sure with good marketing
Lancia could be a strong player again !
Kappa Coupe only reached small number of produced units - it has interesting
rearend design , too quiet front face and very silent sidelines.
Lets hope for Thesis Coupe , and : LETS BUY NEW LANCIAS to keep this
interesting brand alive !
Randy Adams

Unread post by Randy Adams »

Ah, you lucky people who get to reject the Thesis!

How I wish I had the luxury. Here in the States, I must continue to baby my 1981 Beta coupe in order to have any semi-modern Lancia experience. The cars are so forgotten here that people frequently stare at my car and ask me what it is.

I agree that Lancia's past was populated with a dizzying array of coupes, convertibles and sports models as well as the sedans. I suspect that Fiat does not want Lancia models to compete with Alfa Romeos.

I too am disappointed by the photos of the Thesis. I am sad to say that it does look like an ill-conceived product of my own country. However, I am reminded of the Lancias of the past that frequently did not photograph well but looked terrific in real life, such as the Flaminia sedan and the Fulvia Sport. As for having the looks of the car grow on you, I can think of a few that did that. The Fulvia sedan is now quite a striking car whereas originally it seemed simply boxy. The Beta coupe originally seemed to have a bland rear end, but now when I approach mine from the rear while parked on the street I am struck by how well detailed and balanced it is.

The most unforgiveable thing Fiat did, from my perspective, was to abandon the American market. The company should have tried harder to create a product that was competitive here and should have attended to the dealer network. It is a crime that Fiat pulled Alfa Romeo out of the American market after nearly fifty years of continuous presence. The last Alfa we have is the beautiful 164.
Tom Spencer

Unread post by Tom Spencer »

I just returned from a nice, long visit to Italy and rented a Lancia Kappa. It was decidedly lighter, quicker and nimbler than my aging 164L and was outfitted very nicely compared to most cars here in the US. I looked into seeing a Thesis "in the flesh" and the dealerships advised they wouldn't have cars until later this year . I had really looked forward to seeing one.

From the pictures and brochures, I believe the styling, though retro in some respects, is decidedly Italian and shows immense taste. I believe it is a sleeper that is going to fairly explode onto the market later this year.

As soon as I can get my hands on one, I intend to drive one and maybe buy one for gray-market. I have no interest in the new 166 and I have immense fear about a "joint" "rebadging" of Opels with Alfa name-plates by GM in the US. I expect to be buying a new Thesis early next year.
Ryan

Unread post by Ryan »

Nice post.

I seriously doubt that GM is going to have the authority to re-badge
Opels and Alfas and sell them in the US.

Fiat is still the one in control of Alfa, and I believe they want to continue
where the GTV, 156, and now 147 have left off. We won't see Alfa Cateras, etc. :}

I personally wish they would of just brought the 156 and 166 over now
and then bring the New Spider when they complete it.. but I guess they
are being cautious...

I hope that Thesis is amazing, but so far I havn't been impressed with
Lancia's new design. It took awhile to accept the Lybra.. but I still
can not say that Lancia is really making cars that compare to Benz
or Jaguar stylewise.. :<

Ryan
Vangelis

Unread post by Vangelis »

i don't like the Thesis. The styling is exaggerated and it filled with all kinds of electronical gizmos which are good for the occasional Sunday driver, but awfyl for the REAL driver. Italina cars used to have excellent mechanical desing and be fun to drive. My family owns a Kappa and we are really satisfied with it. My father has done about 100.000km, 40% of wich was driven in completely "pedal to the meta;" conditions and he is very happy about the car's performance. Çïòåùåñ. ôhe Thesis doesn't seem to be well suited in such conditions.....
Ryan

Unread post by Ryan »

"Brand managers" have helped define the Thesis, and a rather
uncreative designer (Robertson) made the styling.

These brand managers say, this car can't be sporty to fun to
drive, because that is Alfa Romeo. Personally, I think they are
just confused. They CAN make Lancias and Alfas, and them
both be appealing, and sell well.

Anyway, we will see what happens. In my opinion, now they
should just do the Toyota/Lexus, and follow Mercedes-Benz,
since their direction is ridiculous...

Ryan
Jan the Augusta man

Unread post by Jan the Augusta man »

I can only agree with Sebastien. If you want a dull car go and buy a german one. i drove the new Thesis and it's fantastic.

Return to “40 Thesis”