Lybra 2.0 Timing-chain change

Arjan

Re: Lybra 2.0 Timing-chain change

Unread post by Arjan »

My small local village garage said they were able to do the job, ordered all the parts from Lancia, but then found out is was too complicated afterall.
Solution: the mechanic from the nearest Lancia dealership did it on a Saturday in the Lancia workshop, under full warranty, for just under 700 euro.
Because of the automatic (Comfortronic) gearbox the job, of leaving the engine in, but only lifting and sinking it, was even tighter.. but still do-able!
I am now looking forward to the next 60.000km! Even in Switserland there must be someone who can do it preiswerter than the tariffs you quoted....!
philip

Unread post by philip »

unfortunately Swiss garage labour rates at over EUR100 an hour makes any work rather expensive...of course if you have a freindly mechanic who can do it in his 'spare' time it would help...but where to find one? you are fortunatel in the NL having so many Lancias around...I was there last week and one sees far more Lybras than anywhere else, apart from Italy...
Philip
Arjan

Unread post by Arjan »

.. the number of Lybra's here is still realtively small, I can drive 500 km without seeing a second sometimes...
Why not drive your Lybra to Holland, have my 'friendly mechanic" change your timing chain, enjoy Amsterdam or the Tullipfields for the weekend (just 20 minutes) and drive back again, having had a great weekend and a nearly free chain exchange.. ?
Buona Lybra!
Mattia LYBRA2.0BERLINA

Unread post by Mattia LYBRA2.0BERLINA »

I hope it won´t be huge problem, my KM clock says 115.000 km now so quite soon the chain has to be changed...I live in Holland and I hope it will be a good thing, although one can not realy say it´s a Lancia loving country. Still it´s better than living in the UK where you still have to get your satisfaction by seeing Deltas and Dedras ones a year...
Leo

Unread post by Leo »

Not quite Mattia !
I live in Scotland and there are 2 Thesis, 3 Kappa and 1 Lybra living here (not mine unfortunately).

Leo
Mattia LYBRA2.0BERLINA

Unread post by Mattia LYBRA2.0BERLINA »

Great respect for that fact, it means that in Britain (and Scotland ;-), great land!!) still some of the Islanders concider real cars above melting pot crap from oversea! Eat your hart out Jeremy C!!! (This man probably thinks Lancia is the name of a first plate on a meditteranean menu!)

Ciao my friend
Harvy

Unread post by Harvy »

Hi,
I have change timing-chain last week for 600 Eur.
In Czech Republic. You can go here and have a good time for extra 1000 Eur you save!
Let me know if I can help.
H.
p.s. Engine HAS to be removed from the car!
philip

Unread post by philip »

this can be done without removing the engine although the recommended practice is to remove it; mine was done in Geneva without removing the engine..., not at the official garage - if that had been done here it would have cost over euro1500...water pump was changed at same time as a precaution as if that fails then engine might have to be 'removed' again...
Michael123

Unread post by Michael123 »

I have changed mine without a dealer or a garage

I have got the whole belt kit for free when i bought the car for 150 euro

http://www.viva-lancia.com/lancia_fora/ ... sg-1372831

Only takes a little time :P

Greetings Michael
kappaman

Unread post by kappaman »

Michael, about your Lybra belt change.
Several things:

Have you just bought the car? I ask because I -- living in France -- have seen a 2.0 auto whose seller is offering the belt kit ( or is it actually a metal chain?) with the car, and I was wondering if since I saw the ad a few weeks ago he's sold it you!!. He's in Normandy.
If not, and I bought it, I'd have to change it or get someone else to, as it'sa fewthousand km beyond its due date.

I'm no longer fit enough to do that sort of job, and the costs mentioned on this thread are daunting.

If you're in England, I do visit often, and wonder if, for a sensible consideration, you might like to do it?

I'd also like an Owners' manual, as it's a more complex car than my current Kappa V6, but can't seem to get one anywhere which includes the auto box. Most of the complexity is admittedly down to the ICS and sound system, which aren't my main reasons for buying this model.

I get the Kappa serviced in central London, at Zagato, so I could ask them for an estimate for the Lybra belt.

Return to “45 Lybra”