Word of warning

LanciaFin

Word of warning

Unread post by LanciaFin »

Hi,

I think this is more of an issue for us living in nordic countries, but I know that in parts on Middle Europe road salt is extensively used sometimes. My 2001 Lybra spent its first seven years and some 160000kms in Switzerland and then moved with its owner to Finland. Two years later it moved to my possession. It has covered now 270000 comfortable kilometers. I noticed this:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiQwQq0Hz81Sg8cp3Pj-a_YmQQ4yZQ

These are (or were) the outer brackets of rear longitudinal swinging arms. The rotting happens above the arm bushing, so it is not easily noticeable, and even then the real truth is revealed only knocking them with screwdriver or something, because their paint can keep the completely rusted part looking as good. As it can be seen from pictures, not much of the original strength is left any more. The sad thing is, that these parts are not available as new anymore, so one has to source used parts or have new brackets manufactured. Partacus.de lists them, is obviously not able to deliver - guess how I know this.B)-

Similar phenomenon takes place also in the ends of the rear crossrail. While this does not have any practical effect on strength, it will cause a fail in MOT.

I've now placed a query to some Italian car stripper, but if someone has these parts available in decent condition, I may be interested.

Best regards,
-Miika & Lybra SW 2.0 20V

Return to “45 Lybra”