Y10 1,3 GT i.e. 1991 for sale. 161000km

Hans Henrik Kienitz

Y10 1,3 GT i.e. 1991 for sale. 161000km

Unread post by Hans Henrik Kienitz »

Hey. I'm looking for a real afficionado to buy and restore my beloved GT. She's tired and in need of some TLC as I've bought another car. If you don't want to spend EUR 1000+ to get her fit, don't reply.
Johnny48

Re: Y10 1,3 GT i.e. 1991 for sale. 161000km

Unread post by Johnny48 »

In Dec06 I bought a simple, no fancy extras, low km, running fine, with cat-converter 2 owner 1982 Y10, for a few Euro - from a neighbor. It was mostly used as a pick-up truck ...until Dec 07, when the motor-cables decided to burn - very hot & very smoky - upon returning home after a banzai-trip from sud Germany to "all over Macedonia" & back... more or less non-stop.
I wasn't on that trip ! I am not crazy !
The insurance company paid the cost for the fire-department to smother the motor in foam & stop the black, acrid smoke from stinking up the neighborhood, I didn't witness this event.

The new summer tires & newly restored original lite-metal wheels (purchased by the driver, in order to go on the trip in style - IN WINTER !!!) were saved; by the driver...not by me.
The rest went away, forever. Good bye, no tears from me !!!

So tiny outside & so big inside; so loud, no comfort, a good heater, so much fun...at low speeds.
If it didn't burn it would still be a pick-up truck & I'd still own it. In spite of it having the crash worthiness of a shoe-box. I don't miss it & if you gave me another Y - for free - I'd say "thanks no thanks".

They are fine for olive-farmers to drive from the farmhouse to the olive grove at 30kph. When something falls off, no harm will occur.

It was a mini-transporter - carrying light but bulky items from 1 side of an industry-park to the other side, seldom at over 30kph. Everyone who drove it - on this 10 minute trip - thought it was great...for this purpose only ! Easy to start, easy to maneuver, easy to park... It needed to be tanked 1x a month with, the cheapest gasoline in town. It ran fine. It was fun (ok, I am easliy thrilled) to play with the electric rear "flaps out, flaps in" windows.

I drove it a few times at normal country-road winter ice & snow speeds. I wasn't thrilled, but it was better than walking & the gas station was in the next town; which is where I live. I am sure the "neighbors wondered "who the hell drives that" shoe-box ?"
Only at night, with no other cars on the road, to crash into it, with me inside ! Yikes !!!

Old, no-value cars like Y10's - no matter who built them (Fiat, Skoda, Ford etc) are not worth saving.

They are dangerous to those sitting inside and should all "go away, forever; the sooner the better".
Koen

Unread post by Koen »

Small is beautifull !

""""Old, no-value cars like Y10's - no matter who built them (Fiat, Skoda, Ford etc) are not worth saving.
They are dangerous to those sitting inside and should all "go away, forever; the sooner the better"."""

I know a lot of small, older cars wich are dangerous for driver and passenger(s) : all to the scrap-yard ?
E.g. : Messcherschmitt, Isetta, Lancia Appia, Fulvia, Fiat 500 etc.
Are they safe for driver and passenger(s) ?
Are they safe for other pedestrians ?
How many "stars" will they have in the EuroNCAP crash-test ? One ? Or one-and-a-half ?

At the time when they were +/- 10 years out of production, no one would give some money for them.
Now you get easily 4.000 € for a Fiat 500 in good condition.

I think that it IS worth saving some "no-value" cars. Not all of them, but some species of a type.
Just for history and for making a gathering from a brand complete.

I find it very boring to go to a Lancia (or Fiat or whatever) show and the only cars you see are some different types of a Delta I and some Aurelia's.
Where are the small cars the manufactor ever built ?
Where are the cars wich were'nt succesfull at the time ?
All gone... because "they not worth saving"...

:-( :-( :-(

THEY ARE WORTH SAVING :-) :-) :-)
Awfull drive-abbility or not ! ;-)

Koen
johnny 48

Unread post by johnny 48 »

point well stated & I can disagree (much).
But I will say I wouldn't give any money to anyone for aFiat 500 (old model)(or horribly overpriced new model)...if I was "forced to drive it (the old model) for any period of time", like more than 10 seconds.
The same situation is true with quite a # of older "little" cars. Maybe they were 'fine in their day' (& maybe not), but "death-traps they were all.

Speaking of small, old car 'price-explosions#...has anyone (in Europe) noticed the ASKING-PRICES for everyday Citroen 2CV's? I repeat myself : I wouldn't give any money to anyone for any Citroen 2CV.

I wouldn't want either car.
I repeat myself again: the same situation is true with quite a # of older "little" cars.

Maybe I should say "all older little cars" (& lots of newer, little death-traps).

Example: I'm very taken with the style of the Ford StreetKa Cabrio; but (after reading several horrifying (lack-of) crash- worthiness tests of this car (chosen to represent the entire spectrum of micro-cabrios)
I had to ask the Universe "how do these death-traps" get approved for highway use?"

I wouldn't want to sit in one, even in a parking lot. a Smart Roadster / Cabrio...they look so great; (for sit-in roller-skates) & they are so cheap !!! Daihatsui Copen ? (sounds of screaming "Help Help" ).-

Lancia Y10 with 161,oookm (sounds of moaning & crying).

Last Words: Appia, Fulvia, Beta, MC etc & other "rare, precious, beautiful "old, small-cars" (sorry, no Fiat 500, 600, 850 included) ... are fine ... for Club Events, low-speed fun-Rallyes & other "Events".
They are certainly worth investing a few hard earned moneys into...because they have CLASS !

Recently near Torino, while I & everyone else in my vicinity was driving at a very safe speed, I (we all) wondered why so many tractor-trailers were pulling into the left lane & really snarling up faster traffic... causing me & many others to drive at less than 70kph, in my case for 15 minutes !!!

When the final truck that could pull safely in front of my car finally did, I saw what the rolling road-block was. A Fiat 500 dressed in an early Autobianchi Cabrio dress, with a suitcase strapped to the rear & 2 very large-gentlemen crammed inside.
They were moving - at what was probably a rather high- speed - for this vehicle - under that load - at about 50kph !!! On the Autostrada !!! Tutto Criminala !! Insanity !! They didn't look so happy either !!!
Brian Hilton

Unread post by Brian Hilton »

Hi Johnny 48,
I'm surprised you even bother to look at this site as you obviously have no soul or understanding of the love of cars, seems to me you should go and by yourself a tank, perhaps you'll feel safe in that.

So what if you were held up for a short while, are you in that much of a hurry?
I've owned 6 Fiat 500's over the years and they were great fun, I've also owned a Y10 Fire & a GTie, both were great little cars with bags of character, along with many other new & old cars. I currently own a Lancia Fulvia 2c, A Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet, & a Mercedes 300se, as well as a 1970 Raleigh (British) moped.

As for considering a Ford KA, instead of an Italian car with lots of Brio, I'm speechless.
Don't really intend to offend you, but that is certainly what you've done for me.

Brian Hilton
UK
Alan Cooper

Unread post by Alan Cooper »

Y10 is not a bad car bit compromised in some ways but it really was the start of the trend of slightly more posh and elite small cars for city driving they made a bit of a hash of it with updates by softening the suspension to try and improve the ride (which just made the handling worse series one Y10 are best in corners!) and spoiled the seats to try to achieve more space on the first revision. the best Y10 are the original series but the GTie is the best overall performer it is great fun and nippy beyond belief if you have a good one it will slip through tiny gaps that BMW drivers can only stare at, with a stut brace and probably lower springs it makes a great little fun cheap runabout with out using too much petrol
Gamma a.i. Goat

Unread post by Gamma a.i. Goat »

Geepers Brian; Help ! Lighten up ! letta me explaina to you (Italian Accent, ala Marlon Brando)

I didn't mean to stomp on your toes.....for I too am a Fulvia driver (as you may know..Fulvia as in Claire).

By the way, my very own Y10 toy burned at the end of last year...not to the water-line, but enough to require the fire-brigade (not all of them) to put the fire out.
I didn't see it burning, since I'd lent it to a friend...for reasons that not need to go into here (all legal) & he was driving it........literally "all over mid & SE Europe"; at (according to those who attempted to follow him with larger / faster cars) speeds beyond insanity.
It served it purpose. I must have any "anything car" registered in my name, for tax reasons, & the Y10 was it for 2007. I posted somewhere " I won't miss it" & that is true !
Please reread my Ka comment...I don't want one, I just like the style of the Cabrio Version, but not its (lack of) "safeness".

May I add (thank you):
I've not read this "Topic" for many months,,,I've been busy posting in the Fulvia "Topic" area & driving my :
Fiat Ulyssee Van (x2) (sold in Jun); replaced by 1 Fiat Scudo (new model); Lancia 1998 Y, when Barbara lets me, my legally registered 78 Gamma (when it isn't snowing) or my other 78 Gamma (when I can "borrow" the right sort of license-plates & the weather is right ...meaning plates for "test-drive-purposes---- only !" , my 'semi-convertible Coupe Fiat Stilo' - special accordian glass roof model - only a few of which were built with this feature - which is never driven in winter.
I also spend time (down-time when traveling) posting (a lot) in the Lancia Gamma Forum or taking place in (going to, returning from, preparing for (wash, polish, adjust, tweek etc) & participating in Lancia-Events
(sometimes in "general old-car events too) where Lancia Gamma or Fulvia are welcome. Which is everywhere that Lancia people meet.

This must have something to do with my Irish Father having spent a # of years in Italy before he was allowed to return to his land-of-choice (USA) in time to meet my Irish Mother ( ho had arrived in USA at 3 years of age) in NYC. His comment to the children they had (including me), was (way back then) ... if Uncla Sam hadda kept me there much longer, you all would have been born Italian.
Considering that my sisters all have Italian-Names (Gloria, Maria etc) & I am John (as all 1st sons have been in my Irish Family); I could have been a Gianni, had he not returned to the USA.
He told me that all the "returning soldiers / to be husbands" had, unbeknownst to them, been advance selected ... concerning which "waiting Irish Lass" they would marry on returning. He always said (wise man) he got the best of the bunch (my Mom). His Italian Friends in the US Army who returned to NY also were told (by their Grandmothers) which Italian-Girl they woudl marry. Basta ! So they did !

Whether I have an Irish Soul or an Italian Soul... well , it doesn't matter !

I have, (strange for an American) ... no American cars; I have (strange for a person living in Germany) no German cars (gave up on them long ago) & no other cars except Italian cars......but I don't want ... under any circumstances...an Italian old-mini-car in the family...even if a lovely Innocenti Mini or Autobianchi anything was given to me for free.

Last week I was offered a 1 owner, 37,ooo km Fiat Tipo 3 door - blue metallic, original glass sunroof, mag wheels, new tires; good winter tires on wheels, cat.converter, & (very rare) automatic trans...power everything......for less than € 800.
I (we) passed on it, because the crash-tests showed that the S1 Tipo was very unsafe.
The person offering it (an retired older women, who doesn't want to drive anymore) said "it would be perfect for your son as his 1st car,,,it looks sporty (yes), is new inside & out (yes)..even if it is automatic...it only has 70 HP & that is cheap for beginners insurance (yes) & it needs to go to someone who will keep it for a long time (we would have). We discussed it in the family ... with the owner present ...& we all agreed any new driver should have the max in safety features (ABS; airbag, frame-strength etc) possible & that particular car wasn't...in the end...what was needed. It was SO CHEAP that I almost bought it as my
"tax free "anything car" for 2008; but my Gamma now serves that purpose & I have run out of place to park or store cars. It was so nice we would hvave never driven it in winter...which wouldbe another car in the family that is driving only when the sun shines & we don't need another one of those.

In 10 days I join the Fulvia/Flavia Belelux Tour, with one of the (bigger) kids...both of us squeezed in our little (too little) Fulvia Z. This goes against me belief in "safe-transport"; bit we want to have some fun as long as the sun is shining. I'd still feel safer in a Gamma !

signed: Johnny (not Gianni) 48 (better go back to work).

PS:
I may buy the Tipo in spring & drive it next summer !!!!
It is not for sale anymore; the owner knows I will weaken !
Johnny48

Unread post by Johnny48 »

hi; I think not to many folks read this, but I'll post anyway. Just to keep you all confused.
For those who live not where the Fiat Ulysse is sold, you must realize that it isn't Italian; neither is the Lancia derivitive. They are built in France, alongside the Citroen & Peugeot clones.
I believe the drive-train is Italy produced, however.
So nobody can / will / should get many "Italian points" for driving a Ulysse.
Not that the Uylssee is alone being a sister-model of other Euro-Cars; there are a # of other Fiats that are also C & P's..but I can't tell you what model is built in what country.
Moving right along to the next exciting comment: for those who live not where the new Fiat 500 is sold, you may find it strange that this model "the most Italian of Fiats" is built in Poland...or at least assembled there. Perhaps the drive train is built in Italy & trained to Poland. Lovely little (very litttle) car at a not-so-little price
(higher than a new Lancia Y...which is built in Italy for sure...if one does a little shopping around for a new Y.)
I likish the newest Y; it is big enough to be "semi-safe" ; but I'd feel safer in a Thesis.Gamma a.i. Goat wrote:
>
> Geepers Brian; Help ! Lighten up ! letta me explaina to
> you (Italian Accent, ala Marlon Brando)
>
> I didn't mean to stomp on your toes.....for I too am a Fulvia
> driver (as you may know..Fulvia as in Claire).
>
> By the way, my very own Y10 toy burned at the end of last
> year...not to the water-line, but enough to require the
> fire-brigade (not all of them) to put the fire out.
> I didn't see it burning, since I'd lent it to a friend...for
> reasons that not need to go into here (all legal) & he was
> driving it........literally "all over mid & SE Europe"; at
> (according to those who attempted to follow him with larger /
> faster cars) speeds beyond insanity.
> It served it purpose. I must have any "anything car"
> registered in my name, for tax reasons, & the Y10 was it for
> 2007. I posted somewhere " I won't miss it" &
> that is true !
> Please reread my Ka comment...I don't want one, I just like
> the style of the Cabrio Version, but not its (lack of)
> "safeness".
>
> May I add (thank you):
> I've not read this "Topic" for many months,,,I've been busy
> posting in the Fulvia "Topic" area & driving my :
> Fiat Ulyssee Van (x2) (sold in Jun); replaced by 1 Fiat Scudo
> (new model); Lancia 1998 Y, when Barbara lets me, my legally
> registered 78 Gamma (when it isn't snowing) or my other 78
> Gamma (when I can "borrow" the right sort of license-plates &
> the weather is right ...meaning plates for
> "test-drive-purposes---- only !" , my 'semi-convertible Coupe
> Fiat Stilo' - special accordian glass roof model - only a few
> of which were built with this feature - which is never driven
> in winter.
> I also spend time (down-time when traveling) posting (a lot)
> in the Lancia Gamma Forum or taking place in (going to,
> returning from, preparing for (wash, polish, adjust, tweek
> etc) & participating in Lancia-Events
> (sometimes in "general old-car events too) where Lancia
> Gamma or Fulvia are welcome. Which is everywhere that Lancia
> people meet.
>
> This must have something to do with my Irish Father having
> spent a # of years in Italy before he was allowed to return
> to his land-of-choice (USA) in time to meet my Irish Mother (
> ho had arrived in USA at 3 years of age) in NYC. His
> comment to the children they had (including me), was (way
> back then) ... if Uncla Sam hadda kept me there much longer,
> you all would have been born Italian.
> Considering that my sisters all have Italian-Names (Gloria,
> Maria etc) & I am John (as all 1st sons have been in my Irish
> Family); I could have been a Gianni, had he not returned to
> the USA.
> He told me that all the "returning soldiers / to be husbands"
> had, unbeknownst to them, been advance selected ...
> concerning which "waiting Irish Lass" they would marry on
> returning. He always said (wise man) he got the best of the
> bunch (my Mom). His Italian Friends in the US Army who
> returned to NY also were told (by their Grandmothers) which
> Italian-Girl they woudl marry. Basta ! So they did !
>
> Whether I have an Irish Soul or an Italian Soul... well , it
> doesn't matter !
>
> I have, (strange for an American) ... no American cars; I
> have (strange for a person living in Germany) no German cars
> (gave up on them long ago) & no other cars except Italian
> cars......but I don't want ... under any circumstances...an
> Italian old-mini-car in the family...even if a lovely
> Innocenti Mini or Autobianchi anything was given to me for
> free.
>
> Last week I was offered a 1 owner, 37,ooo km Fiat Tipo 3 door
> - blue metallic, original glass sunroof, mag wheels, new
> tires; good winter tires on wheels, cat.converter, & (very
> rare) automatic trans...power everything......for less than €
> 800.
> I (we) passed on it, because the crash-tests showed that the
> S1 Tipo was very unsafe.
> The person offering it (an retired older women, who doesn't
> want to drive anymore) said "it would be perfect for your son
> as his 1st car,,,it looks sporty (yes), is new inside & out
> (yes)..even if it is automatic...it only has 70 HP & that is
> cheap for beginners insurance (yes) & it needs to go to
> someone who will keep it for a long time (we would have).
> We discussed it in the family ... with the owner present ...&
> we all agreed any new driver should have the max in safety
> features (ABS; airbag, frame-strength etc) possible & that
> particular car wasn't...in the end...what was needed. It was
> SO CHEAP that I almost bought it as my
> "tax free "anything car" for 2008; but my Gamma now serves
> that purpose & I have run out of place to park or store
> cars. It was so nice we would hvave never driven it in
> winter...which wouldbe another car in the family that is
> driving only when the sun shines & we don't need another one
> of those.
>
> In 10 days I join the Fulvia/Flavia Belelux Tour, with one of
> the (bigger) kids...both of us squeezed in our little (too
> little) Fulvia Z. This goes against me belief in
> "safe-transport"; bit we want to have some fun as long as the
> sun is shining. I'd still feel safer in a Gamma !
>
> signed: Johnny (not Gianni) 48 (better go back to work).
>
> PS:
> I may buy the Tipo in spring & drive it next summer !!!!
> It is not for sale anymore; the owner knows I will weaken !

Return to “49 Ypsilon, Y10”