Buying a 93 Thema S3

Ruben Rocha

Buying a 93 Thema S3

Unread post by Ruben Rocha »

Hello!

As a Lancia fan i want to buy a used Thema for some weekend rides and found one for sale here in Portugal. The car is like new. You can see it here:

http://www.standvirtual.com/index.php?o ... id=p405378

So, i tested the car and my god its like brand spanking new! Just needs a paint polish to restore the shiny black.

While testing the car i noticed 3 things:

Pulling from standing the clutch makes a little vibration on the engine... New clutch soon?
The electronic suspension works but its likely in its end... Can i recharge the shocks? The seller said that it will need new gas tanks.
While idling i noticed a little whine coming from the turbo area. It only makes that while idling... Broken turbo?

Apart from these the car goes like a rocket, no noises whatsoever coming from the trim, everything is working properly.

Price to pay: 3000 euros. To much?

Thanks in advance.
AngleGrinder

Re: Buying a 93 Thema S3

Unread post by AngleGrinder »

The vibration when pulling away could be the top engine stabiliser bush. As you look into the engine bay you will see a short metal bar that runs from the side of the suspension turret to an aluminium bracket that attaches to the engine. Check the condition of the rubber bushes at each end of the arm.

I think the wisest thing to do with the suspension is to simply convert to standard McPherson Struts and forget about the electronic dampers. Parts for the electronic units are hard to get and expensive.

Not so sure about your whine at idle. Could be the tensioner bearings for the timing belt or balancer belt, but they tend to give a rattle when worn. Over tightened belts can also be a bit whiney. BUT they are not located near the turbo so you would presumably be able to differentiate the source of the noise.

If the owner will let you, try taking the large rubber hose off the end of the turbo so that you can get your fingers onto the spindle of the turbo. If the bushes in the turbo are badly worn you will be able to feel the free play in the shaft.

Return to “51 Thema”