16V Turbo Engine cutting out at +/- 3000rpm

Morné Joubert

16V Turbo Engine cutting out at +/- 3000rpm

Unread post by Morné Joubert »

After buying my Thema 16v Turbo I fixed the engine as a result of a broken cambelt. After about 80km of normal cruising I was convinced the engine and turbo operated without any problems (The turbo kicked in at about +/- 3000rpm). Then all of a sudden I experienced the following problem... I pulled away and when reaching second gear I found that the car won't rev above +/- 3000rpm. I slowed down and pulled of the road to inspect but no visual problem was found. I got back in the car and drove off again but the problem co-existed ( just my luck! ). Under 3000rpm the car operates as usual and as soon as I reach 3000 + rpm the engine cuts out until the revs falls below 3000rpm again. It feels like there is a fuel shortage. Could the Turbo be to blame?

Morné Joubert
South Africa
Holger

Re: 16V Turbo Engine cutting out at +/- 3000rpm

Unread post by Holger »

...i know the reason - check out the air filter...maybe there are some big bugs in ... ;-))
iain ambrose

Unread post by iain ambrose »

Could be a host of problems.
Check the fuel pump hose in the tank as they are well known to split causing this problem.
If it's not fuel related then check the engine management components.
It could be something simple like a faulty knock sensor telling the management system that the engine is pinking causing it to retard the advance.
Does the engine stutter and jerk at 3000 revs or simply stop accelerating?
kassus

Unread post by kassus »

so much boost ???

Return to “51 Thema”