Thema 2000cc turbo

John Larke

Thema 2000cc turbo

Unread post by John Larke »

The radiator fan on my Thema has stopped working, hence the engine overheats in traffic,although it runs normal on the move. I have checked fan OK with direct 12V feed. I have checked rad temp sensor OK at engine hot with circuit tester. My car has Aircon and fan does not operate with Aircon on either. Its got to be a relay fault. Is it the black relay (extreme right above fuses) and has a rough Lancia logo on top face and the tabs marked 1,2,3,4&5, or are there other relays, and where are they. I would like to get the fan working via the original wiring, but if all else fails I will fit new wiring , although it would not work as it should for the Aircon system. I dont like to replace the black relay with a UK relay for fear of not getting the correct terminal pattern. Any ideas out there in Lancia land. Come back please John Larke.
Paddy

Re: Thema 2000cc turbo

Unread post by Paddy »

Not sure about the S3 but in the S2 version the fan fuse is the middle fuse in the left three fuse cluster under the plastic cover in the engine bay. Try that first and see if it works and you are getting voltage to it and continuity thereafter. The socket colour should be green (16VT) or white (16V) - (If there is a fan relay there the socket colour will be yellow but my diagrams only show that on the diesel version ). The relays there are headlamp washer. speedometer relay, ABS and dim/dip to the front. On some models there is a fan relay under the centre console (2000ie 16V) but neither the diagrams I have nor the index show a relay for the S2 2000 turbo. Do not have a full set though so cannot be sure.
david hanson

Unread post by david hanson »

Most likely the problem is the temp sensor in the bottom of the radiator.
Ronald

Unread post by Ronald »

On the sub-frame below the right headlamp is a earth strip. Check the connections there! It is the earth for the thermo switch...
Angle Grinder

Unread post by Angle Grinder »

John,

I'm with Paddy on this one. I had exactly the same with my 8v Turbo and I quickly solved it by cleaning and tightening the contacts of all the fuses and relays in the cluster beside the battery, which should be housed under a black plastic cover.

In my case it was a fuse (30A I think?) which had oxidised contacts and was a bit lose.

Best of luck,
Angle Grinder
Ronald

Unread post by Ronald »

And???

What was the problem??
Angle Grinder

Unread post by Angle Grinder »

Ronald,

Didn't you read the message?

It was a fuse, in the location described by Paddy , which had oxidised contacts and was a bit lose. Thus, there was no power to the radiator fan.

Return to “51 Thema”