is the s2 gearbox the same as s3 ?

kassus

is the s2 gearbox the same as s3 ?

Unread post by kassus »

hi friends

i want to install the viscodrive system to my thema s2. the quesion is if i can install directly or i must change also the gear box of the serie 3 model (viscodrive oem)

any expirience or comments ??

regards
markus

Re: is the s2 gearbox the same as s3 ?

Unread post by markus »

when you are a good mechanic you can fixed, but easyer is it to change compl. gearbox.you must change some different part to inside differential and you must to change built out the gearbox also you change compl. i have the parts you needed. compl. 3 serier gearbox visco drive from 201ps tb16v
Leo Capaldi

Unread post by Leo Capaldi »

Hello Kassus,
The S3 cars have a "pull " operated clutch, S2 and S1 have "push" clutch mechanism. The clutch lever is at a different angle and the cylinder is mounted differently. When fitting an S3 transmission you need to hook the release mechanism into place. As long as you get the mounting bracket with the transmission it is easy enough to fit the alternative type but without the correct bracket no good.

Leo
paddyjudge@eircom.net

Unread post by paddyjudge@eircom.net »

I have a 1990 S2 which is "pull operated" i.e. the pressure plate is lifted away from the clutch plate - have you got them the wrong way around?

Paddy
kassus

Unread post by kassus »

thanks for your comments, it seems it is not a simple operation. maybe in the future, before the t3/t4 installation :-) it will be more necesary..........the problem is that thema 16vt s2 has a great tendence to understeering. i think i can solve with 215/45 tyres and 2.5tds stabilizer front bar (21 mm) so the problem still there.......specially on circtuit

regads
Leo Capaldi

Unread post by Leo Capaldi »

Hello Paddyjudge,
Yes, well sort of. I was confused because my friend's S2 car has an S1 transmission in it. You are correct the S2 and S3 have the same "pull" clutch.
Hello Kassus,
Apologies for the wrong information on the clutch. However, as I said, it is easy to reverse the movement.

Leo
Luke

Unread post by Luke »

sorry to be resusrecting this old topic...

but...

i'm dismantling a S2 2.5TD that was hit on the side by a motorbike, and i recon the stabilizer is intact, is this beefier than the one on the 16v turbo? is it worth the switch?

Return to “51 Thema”