Thema Fuel Filter

Brian Larkin

Thema Fuel Filter

Unread post by Brian Larkin »

Perhaps some of you kind Lancisti out there can help me.
My 1993 Series 3 Thema Turbo 16v (with 118,000 miles covered) always displays the fuel injector warning light for a few seconds on start-up (hot or cold). After that, it comes on ntermittently, especially during cornering (even at sedate speeds) but also when cruising on straight roads at 60 - 70mph.
When I got the car first the idle was anywhere between 750 and 2,500rpm and the engine would have to be almost fully warmed up before it would pull smoothly. I have treated the car to copious quantities of Bardahl Injector Cleaner since and those problems are much improved.
However, it's still a bit sluggish when cold and the injector light problem remains.
Before I commit myself to serious work on the injectors I would like to renew the fuel filter. I haven't been able to find it so far and wonder whether any of you could give me "directions" to it?
Any assistance with this or any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards,
Brian Larkin.
Dublin, Ireland.
Alan Cooper

Re: Thema Fuel Filter

Unread post by Alan Cooper »

Don't know about the fuel filter BUT if your injection light is coming on it suggests that you have got a sensor that is giving readings outside the accepted parameters in other words faulty (always assuming that the warning light is not suffering from italian electrics!!) the light will only come on some of the time because the ecu can only say that a figure from a sensor is wrong when it is a long way out therefore it can give false readings that the ecu thinks could be right this sounds like a job for a fiat tester operated by an intelligent fiat /lancia mechanic though I'm not sure if you'll be able to find both in the same place(!???)
Brian Hilton

Unread post by Brian Hilton »

Brian
on series 3 Thema's the fuel filter is underneath the spare wheel well reached with a fair bit of difficulty from under the car but I seem to remember the fixings are in the spare wheel well.
My series 3 was an ex Magneti Marelli car with a full service history but it was quite apparent when I had it serviced about 60000 miles it had never been changed & was the original filter. So it's worth the effort finding it. I passed on my series 3 workshop manuel to Paul mayo the club librarian so he should be able to help you as there was a complete fuel system layout shown in the manual
Regards
Brian
Brian Hilton

Unread post by Brian Hilton »

Brian,
had further thoughts on this it is in the spare wheel well under a dome under the space saver but you may have to hold the underside of the fixings as mine were turning.

Brian

Return to “51 Thema”