THEMA TURBO16V PARTS NEEDED

BILLY

Unread post by BILLY »

HI! I'M BILL FROM GREECE AND I OWN A THEMA TURBO 16V LX.I'M LOOKING FOR A PROPER WASTEGATE FOR PRESURES OVER 1.2BAR AND IF ANYONE KNOWS IF I CAN USE LOWERING SPRINGS FOR MY CAR.THE CAR HAS ELECTRONIC SUSPENSION SYSTEM.THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!
Andy Brice

Unread post by Andy Brice »

The only way to get a bhp increase without spending too much is to fit a bleed valve to the turbo wastegate feedback pipe and fool the turbo into making more pressure. These are available from most tuning shops. Fit it in the small bore rubber hose on the turbo to the inlet side. Do not get confused with a dump valve, this is a different beast and you don't need one as the car already has a recirculation valve which is better anyway.

You need to disconnect the over pressure sensor in the manifold too and source one with a higher cut off pressure; I got mine from a scrap Renault 5 Turbo and plumbed it into the manifold with a small rubber tube. The standard Lancia sensor will kill your ignition above 15psi boost. The Renault one will still cut if things hit around 20psi. Open the bleed valve a tiny bit at a time and monitor it using an accurate pressure gauge.

Experience with 8 and 16 valve models has shown there is little to be gained by boosting the standard pressure to more than about 16-17psi (Standard is about 8-12psi). You can end up losing power if detonation occurs, as the pinking sensor will back off the ignition. You should be able to gain around 20-30bhp by this method but it really needs setting up on a rolling road to be
sure. Make sure brakes and supension are up to it as well or you will end up with something scary you can't stop!

Return to “51 Thema”