buying a dedra

mark tobin

buying a dedra

Unread post by mark tobin »

i'm considering checking out a dedra thats for sale close to my home, its a 1991 2.0 "sport" (well thats what the description says!)

Is there anything i should pay paticular attention to? Do they have any common faults??

Cheers,
mark.
Brian Hilton

Re: buying a dedra

Unread post by Brian Hilton »

Hi Mark,
Most important, make sure it has a good service history & that Cam Belt & Counter Balancer shaft belts & all three of the Belt Tensioner bearings have been changed within the last 3 years 36,000 miles, the handbook says 100,000KMs but it just isn't worth taking the chance, as if a bearing collapes it usually takes of the cam belt & bang go the valves, if a Counterbalance shaft belt or the cambelt break or come off, the same usually happens. If not, get them all changed straightaway negotiate the cost, your looking at £300 to have the work done so it's not something to ignore lightly.
Check all the electric goodies work, ie window lifters, sunshine roof,central locking,the lock motors are built into the door locks, if there is a problem it's quite often down to earthing.
Boot & fuel filler flap releases(early cars had a locking cap)work from the glove box & the boot locks with the central locking, if it has remote central locking (dark red dome in rear interior light) make sure you get the remote & the code. Handbrake sticks at rear calipers if not maintained correctly, put the handbrake on & try to pull away, if one side of the car rises and the other doesn't, one side is not working.
Check for rust around boot floor & spare wheel well, sometimes the drains for the sunshine roof that pass through the floor behind the rear wheelarches get misplaced & dump the water in the boot, this is a killer for Dedra.
Generally rust isn't a great problem on Dedra as most of the panels were galvanised, but you may find some just above the rear wheels on the wheelarch, difficult to eradicate if bad.
Check where the door sill bottom lip meets the floor lip, gravel from the front wheels shot blasts the underbody protection and can cause severe rusting.
Make sure headlamps have no cracks, RHD headlamps are a problem to get hold of.
If it has alcantara (Seude type upholstery) I would expect it to be in good condition as it wears very well & would only expect wear on the drivers seat.
Alloy wheels unless you are very lucky or the have been refurbished or renewed are liable to be in crap condition, if so don't be tempted to paint them all the same colour, without the dark grey highlights the wheels look nothing but they can be refurbished at £50 each.

Join the Lancia Motor Club, & if you want to buy your service items cheap join the Thema Dedra Consortium (Extra Cost).
I've had five 2.0 Dedra's and they are a great car.
I know where there is a Dedra Turbo in excellent condition for sale, & it belongs to a Lancia Motor Club Committee member.

Brian Hilton
Lancia Dedra Technical Adviser,
Lancia Motor Club
UK.
mark tobin

Re: buying a dedra

Unread post by mark tobin »

wow, thanks a million for that Brian, thats been very helpful. However prior to your reply, i went out and bought a 1991 1.8SE, its off the road at the moment, needs some TLC. Its literally not moved for about 3 years, got it for €450, so even if it turns out to be a dog then i've not lost too much. However the owner was very honest with me & quite literally showed me everything thats wrong with it!

heres whats wrong with it....

Brakes need checking/replacing/bleeding
Bearing in the o/s/f wheel is gone
Some rust spots on the bodywork, its white so these stand out!
it does have 2 rust holes in the boot, either side of the spare wheel (which i guess is caused by what you described above)
Exhaust needs attention, sounds like theres a hole in it, i think the previous owner did start to fix it, but never got around to finishing it!
front windscreen needs to be replaced.
Alloys have seen better days.
Interior is surprisingly good condition

But i've gone into this "project" with my eyes open, & i'm not in any hurry. But i do believe there is a good car under there trying to break out!

Return to “55 Dedra”