Engine removal

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
andy

Engine removal

Unread post by andy »

Just about everyone agrees that the best way to remove a beta engine is to drop out the whole subframe from below, but if you don't have access to a ramp, is that still the best method, and if so, how is it done? Tall axle stands and a load of trolley jacks?
Or should I think about hoisting the engine and gearbox out of the top instead, without the subframe? I can get manpower, but I don't have much garage equipment yet. What will I need?
Andy
Keith Turner

Re: Engine removal

Unread post by Keith Turner »

If you drop it out the bottom you will need to lift the body high enough to clear the top of the engine you would need a very high lift jack or a lot of blocks - dodgy to say the least. I have done both but I have a lift. To lift it out the top is OK with a decent engine crane, you can hire them for reasonable money. It is tight! 1600's are easier 2000 with the larger pulleys will come with care & tilting in various directions to get the gearbox out from under the wing - take off the bonnet first. disconnecting the gear linkage is fun & removing the exhaust from the lower flange Remove the radiator & the body braces disconnect drive shafts, electrics, the rear mounting is a pig ( watch this when you reinstall it often ends on the wrong side of the gearbox casting) you will use a lot of rude words & be amazed at you new found dexterity. sorry if this is a bit disjointed it's a year or two since I last did it - I never did get a Volumex out the top!-
give me a ring if you want 01792 363830.
andy

Unread post by andy »

Thanks for the advice & encouragement, Keith. I'll see what gear I get get my hands on. And hopefully I'll be able to get a mechanic to listen to the unidentified noise this weekend.
Best regards,
Andy
Hamish

Unread post by Hamish »

I did this tricky little job just the once without proper tools.... it's not easy but it can be done. You need a good big trolley jack and axle stands, but wait and see what the mechanic says before you try. If you do decide to take it apart yourself, my suggestion is to strip the engine in situ as much as possible drain all the fluids, take off the head etc etc makes it all much easier to handle.

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”