Electric Fuel Pump gone wrong (?)

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
Bali

Electric Fuel Pump gone wrong (?)

Unread post by Bali »

Hello!

I need some help:
My car (Coupe 2.0 IE) doesn't start. I think that the electric fuel pump had gone wrong. When I start the engine sometimes it starts for a second but - as I think - the pump doesn't start to work, the fuel gone, and the motor stops. Here comes my first question: what makes the pump work? When does it get current?
When I looked at the engine, after the air flow sensor (I think) the rubber pipe wasn't in its place. When I put it back, it still doesn't start.
When I give direct current to the AC pump (at a white connector in the trunk) I can hear that it works, but many more quetly as usually. I hope I didn't messed something...
Can anybody give me a drawing about this section (Pump, relay of the pump etc.)? When I look the pump in the middle of the trunk I'm not sure yet which connector which, because the connectors of the fuel meter there too. And I'm always afraid of doing any "serious" think to the car.
What sould I do when I put it out and when I put a new one? Is there something I should look to?

Thanks in advance

Bali
Hamish

Re: Electric Fuel Pump gone wrong (?)

Unread post by Hamish »

Bali,
Sounds like it could be a knackered pump or the conections have rotted off..... to the best of my knowledge the pumps on the IE/VX are the same and located in the same awkward place to get at.
The pump is mounted on the rear crossmember in front of the fuel tank and is not easy to get at. There should be a 'hum' from the pump as soon as you turn on the ignition.
Try checking the connectors first, these often rot out completely.
On the other hand I could be wrong - never had an injection........
Randy Adams

Unread post by Randy Adams »

Hello Bali:

You have an injection model. Check ALL of your vacuum lines. It sounds like your car may not be changing from the cold start valve to normal running. I do not believe that your fuel pump is the problem.

Best of luck.
Bali

Unread post by Bali »

Hello!

Thanks, yes it was "only" a connection problem. A bad connection at the relays of the pump.
Since I have the Beta I had mainly electric problem. This was the 2. connection problem with the fuel pump.
The best thing a Beta owner should do to change the whole electric system.

Bali

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”