Again and again... burning exhaust manifold gasket.

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
Ruben

Again and again... burning exhaust manifold gasket.

Unread post by Ruben »

Since I bought my VX (a year and a half ago) I have had to service my car due to burnt exhaust gasket. It gets burnt only after 2.000km. I changed it already 4 times and it's burnt again. Last time the surfaces were worked to be perfectly even but it burnt again. I don't know what to do. That car is in original setup, although it runs a lot and feels very torquey (and I have an 8v integrale to compare that :)

The gasket that gets burnt is the one that is between the 4 to 2 and 2 to 1 manifold sections. Is this manifold oem? is there any 4 to 2 to 1 manifold in a single piece?

regards,

Ruben
Hamish

Re: Again and again... burning exhaust manifold gasket.

Unread post by Hamish »

Ruben,
I've had a similar problem and ultimately I replaced the manifold completely with a NOS item I found....
Flattening off and re-studding the original did no good for me at all, but in the short term it's worth a go and should last a lot longer than 2000 km!
There are aftermarket manifolds available (notably Ansa and CSC) but stocks of these are rare at an affordable/realistic price - I know, believe me!
I suggest you try Bielstein in Germany, they have a 4-2-1 system which replaces the front downpipe completely. I know of one car (albeit an ie and not a VX) in the UK (YES, yours Clyde!!!) which has been fitted with this manifold without too much difficulty. Benefits are no more noise/blowing manifold gaskets!! and possibly a tad more power from a 'free flowing' manifold.
Ruben

Unread post by Ruben »

Hi Hamish,

What is a NOS system?

regards,

Ruben
Hamish

Unread post by Hamish »

Oops - I'm using too many abbreviations. NOS = New Old Stock, a new genuine part that's never been fitted to a car before.
Hamish
Ruben

Unread post by Ruben »

Hi Hamish,

Do you know the 4-1manifold that behmann supplies? any comment? I'll probably go for it soon or late.

regards,

Ruben
Hamish

Unread post by Hamish »

Ruben,

Sorry, not familar with the name. CSC and Ansa are the best known to me.....

Hamish

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”