Engine woes...

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
Gaz Thomas

Engine woes...

Unread post by Gaz Thomas »

I've finally finished the brakes on my project '75 Beta spyder 1592cc and i've started working on the engine. She starts and runs but there is a distinct knocking low down in the block and no power at all. My question is - is there any way I can tell whether it's big ends, main bearings or piston slap without ripping the engine apart? Obviously if it's main bearings the engine is going to have to come out but I understand it is possible to do the others with the block in situ. The last thing I want to do is take the head and sump off the engine in situ only to find out I have to take the engine out. Help!

Thanks in advance

Gaz
-x-
Hamish

Re: Engine woes...

Unread post by Hamish »

Gaz,
I sympathise as I've had many engine woes myself recently..... It sounds to me like there's a knackered big end in the depths of your engine or possibly some piston slap but I'd suggest the first thing you try is a compression test. Really the only way i've found to tell is to try a quick drive (on a private road naturally!!) and listen to what the engine does. Watch the oil pressure guage like a hawk, knackered bottom end = no or very liitle oil pressure at speed (not tick over).
In all honesty - and I've been forced to do this more times than I care to mention or tell the wife - the best way to work on a beta engine is to take it out, you'd have to be a brave soul to work on the bottom end in situ and to be honest it's not that hard to do provided you drop the whole subframe, just time consuming.
If you do take it out, I'd take the opportunity of fitting a baffled sump (as provided by Guy Croft) this does make a huge difference to protecting the bottom end of your engine.
I have replied to your other email by the way.
keith turner

Re: Engine woes...

Unread post by keith turner »

I agree with Hamish bite the bullit & get it out as he suggests ( after you have done the suggested tests) pulling it ot the top is possible but tight, dropping the subframe 4 bolts & disconnecting a few cables & pipes is so much easier. & working on the assembly is a joy compared to getting at things in the confines of the engine compartment.

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”