Beta VX purchase

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
Chris

Beta VX purchase

Unread post by Chris »

Hi,
Im currently in the process of searching out my first lancia, which will be a Beta Volumex. So far ive only seen one car - they seem to be pretty thin on the ground! however this one car is fairly exceptional - its had a world of recent work - new carb, new water pump, exhaust valves and head gasket. It runs extremely well, and in fact when I looked at older messages of similar topics it seems to fit the bill of 'buy now' - the rear suspension turrets are entirely rust free. The only bit of rust evident is a slight bubbling under paint at the rear of the bonnet.

What id like to know is what price range I should be paying within for this car - ill list the bad points - quicker than listing the good ones!

right e/w motor is on the way out - loud clicking noises and needs help to get the window up
glovebox catch broken
boot spoiler is a little tatty
drivers seat has a small rip in it.

Also are these parts available, if so where from?

Thanks
Chris
Duncan Martin

Re: Beta VX purchase

Unread post by Duncan Martin »

Price ranges are dependant on body style, as well as condition, miles, age etc. If the only rust you can find is at the rear of the bonnet, then it sounds like i's in good nick. Prices are listed in the classic car press, I don't know how accurately they reflect what people are paying for them, but it's worth a look. Also have a look at the cars for sale on this site - you can probably work out what is a reasonable value if you look at a wide range of them (and the magazine guides).
Good luck.
cheers
DM
PS parts are available from various sources. Not sure if they'll have what you want, but have a hunt around. Do a google search for Lancia (and a few other choice words) and you'll find quite a few places.
alan cooper

Unread post by alan cooper »

sounds to be worth a quite high figure (for a Lancia) the faults you list are fairly typical and not the end of the world although a boot spoiler may be VERY difficult to find basically because they are ALWAYS tatty due to the kind of rubber lancia used (more like sponge.....) cloth for seat repairs can be found but is expensive however it is a rare vx that doesn't have at least one hole in the side bolsters I am assuming this is a coupé by the way although similar comments apply to the HPE but remember they are not so sought after. I should have bought a car in this condition instead of a half good one........ although when it's finished it should be fantastic!
Keith Turner

Unread post by Keith Turner »

Sounds very good have a good look at it (with a magnet) there are some very skilled filler sculpters out there. What model is it Coupe, HPE Trevi? this will reflect the price. I have some useable electric window motors & mechanisms they either get water in the motor or in the mechanism, its a flexible rack in a split tube with felt in it the felt should be oil soaked but after 20 years!... also the switches can fail.
Chris

Unread post by Chris »

The car is a coupe - and im now very set on buying it, the only problem being that I have to get rid of my current toy - a Jag XJS V12. Much looking forward to a car that is possible to work on myself.

Another question or two while im here - this is the first car I will have ever owned with a supercharger - first thing Id like to know is what is 'supercharger fluid' - the owner pointed out this and said never to let it run low. It was in some sort of transparent filter/reservoir in the area of the forward rhs edge of the supercharger.

Also, I was kind of expecting a supercharger whine - I had been told to expect this kind of noise from a supercharger, but I didnt notice it at all when driving, though there was certainly no lack of performance.

Thanks again
Chris
alan cooper

Unread post by alan cooper »

the supercharger is not especially noisy on VX's so don't worry about that. The supercharger oil refered to is for the gears that turn it,it is gear oil but of the non-EP variety the original oil was tutella ZC90 by Fiat lubricants. It is easy to keep an eye on because there is a plastic reservoir it shouldn't lose much oil really but the consequences of not checking regularly would be a knacked blower. these cars are rare only 1272 were built of which 150 are said to have been imported to the UK. The unique features to the VX coupé are upolstery, front recaro seats(standard in UK optional in europe), rear spoiler and badges, bronze tinted glass,both the coupé and HPE have leather steering wheel,front spoiler,bonnet bulge,stiffer springs,higher gear ratios and 140mph speedo.

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”