Petrol (LRP plus additives?)

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
Duncan Martin

Petrol (LRP plus additives?)

Unread post by Duncan Martin »

Hi
I've recently got a '79 HPE (2l carb), and while I was writing the list of what I need to fix, I started wondering about petrol. What do people on this forum use? I'm guessing I will have to use LRP or unleaded plus an additive from redex or someone. What do those of you who are running these engines use, and how does different petrol/additives affect your engines performance?
Thanks
Duncan Martin
Tony McMaster

Re: Petrol (LRP plus additives?)

Unread post by Tony McMaster »

Hi Duncan
I have a '81 HPE [carby] in Australia and it does not like LRP so I use HIGH OCTANE UNLEADED with Redex.It seems to run OK.
Good Luck
Tony
Randy Adams

Unread post by Randy Adams »

I am not familiar with the products you mention.

Lancia Betas were sold in the U.S. exclusively during the time of unleaded fuel. My 1981 coupe has 113,000 miles and there has never been any valve recession problem. I doubt that the valve seats on the European cars are softer. I therefore recommend that you skip any lead substitute products--they'll be a waste of money for you.

I do find it necessary to use octane boosters for my Flaminias and I expect that you will need to do to the same for the Euro-spec Beta. In the U.S., there are many so-called octane boosters that are a waste of money. I find the more expensive variant of 104+ to be effective. Moroso used to make a good product as well but I haven't seen it in a long time (possibly outlawed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency).
Duncan Martin

Unread post by Duncan Martin »

Thanks for that info. I think I'll have to take the head off and have a look, just to be on the safe side. 97 octane unleaded (superunleaded) is available from the pump here, would you still be thinking of octane boosting above that?
Cheers
Duncan
Randy Adams

Unread post by Randy Adams »

No, Duncan, I probably would not use booster if I could get 97 octane. The best that we get here, in the land of trade protection masquerading as environmental concern, is 91 octane. With 91, you definitely need booster.
jimcraib

Unread post by jimcraib »

Hi Duncan

Yes, this is a problem. When 4 star leaded was withdrawn from forecourts in the UK in late 1999 many people wondered what to do. The Lancia Motor Club brought out what was for me the best guide I had seen. It listed every Lancia build right from the start right up to the Intergrale Evos. I started using unleaded plus an additive in my case this was Morris Lubricants Zero Lead 2000. This was because a local classic car club that I belong to had a talk by their Technical director. And I use Morris Lubricants exclusively in my 3 cars Punto, Lancia, and now Jaguar because they are local to me and I like supporting local companies. Some are potassium based others use different additives like maganese and the problem is they don't mix. I have used nothing but unleaded and Zero Lead 2000 for 3 years in a Beta Coupe 1300 its runs better than it did on leaded 4 star. Start using it now as I can't see LRP being with us for much longer

Regards
Jim
mark

Unread post by mark »

I run an hpe ie daily, and to date have covered over 90,000 miles in 4 years
using LRP with no problems.
Keith Turner

Unread post by Keith Turner »

I think that octane rating rather than lead is more important LRP is cheaper than Super unleaded so use that until it is no longer available. Beta exhaust valve seats are very hard - try to recut one with a normal seat cutter! only thing that may cause recession is autogas (LPG) & even that won't be that rapid.mark wrote:
>
> I run an hpe ie daily, and to date have covered over 90,000
> miles in 4 years
> using LRP with no problems.
Peter Coupe

Unread post by Peter Coupe »

You are very right Keith

Lancia valve seats are made of very strong material, best at that time.
I have been using Shell OPTIMAX premium unleaded (98RON) in my 77 Coupe without any problems and without additives for valves. Engine idles much smoother then on super but there is tiny loss of acceleration at high rpm's (above 4500) .

Peter

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”