Update on headlights

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
Hamish

Update on headlights

Unread post by Hamish »

Greetings all,

So far my great plans haven't amounted to too much! I have succeeded in getting all the lights secure in their mounts - there was a problem as all the plastic 'clips' were very brittle. I repaired them all with an epoxy resin which seems to have done the job. headlight alignment is now 'interesting' and I'll have to sort it out in the coming days/weeks.
With so much good advice passed on I thought I'd better investigate the wiring a bit more closely; all I have to say is that someone has been having a laugh in the past as the state of the wiring (very nicely shrouded in tape) is appaling and NOT as it left the factory. I'm in the process of making up new connectors /bits of loom at the moment with a view to wiring in the relays once that stage is completed. I'm also thinking about brighter bulbs but......
I have raided my parts bin and found a collection of relays and 'gubbins' that have come from another VX which I'm proposing to use for the sake of 'originality' but am unsure about what sort of relays to use. Suggestions?

Hamish
Keith Turner

Re: Update on headlights

Unread post by Keith Turner »

Hi Hamish
The standard relays are good for 30A, fine for headlamps even 100 watt bulbs I think from memory that Betas don't have relays on the dip circuit, usual cause for the death of the column light switch A fused feed from as close to the battery as you can get thro a relay makes a heck of a difference to th light output on dip.
David Heller

Unread post by David Heller »

Hi

I have found most electrical problems can be traced to the relay boxes themselves. If you remove the back plate. You will find that the relay sockets are simply crimped on wire connectors plugged into each relay connector, pull each conector(one at a time) using pliers simply squeeze connector tight and plug back into relay. Also check your ground points underneath headlamps. They tend to get a little rusty. I tend to avoid doing "Custom" wiring. As I have seen to many cars go up in flames to take a chance on a classic car.

Good luck

Dave
Guy McDougall

Unread post by Guy McDougall »

Dear Hamish,

I see you are looking for plastick headlight clips... I have som on back order from my local Lancia man in South Africa. I still have a few spare, and I know the part number. Would you like me to get you a set?

Kindest regards,
Guy

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”