Trevi Vx side mirrors & boots struts

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
Rob Fowler

Trevi Vx side mirrors & boots struts

Unread post by Rob Fowler »

Hello

I have a side mirror which does not hold its position and is now neatly held in position with prestick which is a cheap solution. However, I would like to sort out the cables so that the unit works properly. Otherwise it is in great condition. The mirror is fine and so is the rubber concertina boot. I haven't taken it off yet but presume that that would be done by unscrewing the allen key nut at the bottom. Any ideas or suggestions?

Secondly, both the boot struts are finished and the local Gabriel gas strut manufacturers say they do not have a replacement part in the 400(?) strength. Are there other Fiat cars that would share this same strut. Are they (the struts) commercially available in Europe?

Many thanks

Rob Fowler
Midrand, South Africa
Keith Turner

Re: Trevi Vx side mirrors & boots struts

Unread post by Keith Turner »

I did try to reply to your direct email but maxtors finest - my hard drive decided to go lame.
the mirrors are controlled by 4 little bowden cables behind the control knob they either break,rust or the outer part parts company with the cross shaped mounting behind the control knob. usually held with a blob of glue. Removal is by unscrewing the lock ring behind the knob - joystick & loosening the allen screw. you can pull the assembly off the door. If you have to get behind the mirror I think you have to detach the mirror glass from the pivot it 's glued on - care! I don't think you can get in from the rubber boot end - It's a long time since I tried to fix one I usually replace the mirror as I have a number of them I can send you a good one for 10 pounds Plus postage.
The struts are more of a problem I am sure they are unique to the Trevi & have not been available for about 15 years I tried to get some from the original makers but they were obsolete & would only make more if I ordered a minimum of 5000! & then they were about 60 pounds each. Ther are some firms that can refill gas springs (or were) possibly find them in classic car magazines? It is possible to get replacements made with a clevis on each end you would have to make a pin to fit at the rear like the original. Gas Springs in England have made some a few years ago. they over filled them so that you could reduce the pressure to suit. The problem was the price & minimum quantity (30 I think) people at the time baulked at paying 30 plus pounds each. So we(The Lancia Trevi Consortium) never ordered any more. Hope this is of some help.
Andrew @ Omicron

Unread post by Andrew @ Omicron »

Boot sturts.

We get HPE and HPE VX gas struts made for between £ 29.00 and £ 36.00

We have lots of unidentified struts so if you can provide some dimensional info, may be able to help.

Andrew
Rob Fowler

Unread post by Rob Fowler »

I have decided to stick with the side mirrors as they are and use prestick to keep the glass mirror in place. This is a cheap and not too unattractive option at this time.

It took some searching but in the end I found the right dimension gas strut for the boot lid and with some additional screws to fashion the inner connection now have a fully functional gas strutted boot which is an absolute pleasure!

The comparable unit fits the Nissan Sentra which is available here in SA at a price of R60 including VAT which is about UK Pounds 3,75 equivalent at the present dreadful exchange rate (for us anyway!).

The ID is G4268 manufactured by Gabriel.

Best wishes out there!

Rob

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”