more charging on the VX

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
Ruben

more charging on the VX

Unread post by Ruben »

Hi all,

Has anyone tried the supercharger pulley that Barry Waterhouse offers at evocars.com with 1 dent less?

regards,

Ruben
Pierluigi

Re: more charging on the VX

Unread post by Pierluigi »

No, but I'm afraid of the extra tension on the belts. Or does it need to change also the belt quality ? How many CV more with this modification ?
ALAN COOPER

Unread post by ALAN COOPER »

I e-mailed Barry Waterhouse about this item as I was interested but a little concerned that extra mods may be needed to keep the mixture right...I have not received a reply. I suspect that as the pulley will be effectively quite a lot shorter in circumference with a tooth and a notch omitted that the belt tensioner could need modifying to allow it to tension correctly also presumably as there will be more strain on the belt a reinforced one would make sense (I believe that he offers such an item) although if the belt breaks it is unlikely to be a major disaster unlike a cam belt. I am in two minds as to whether more power is such a good thing I would welcome more go at the top end (the VX seems slow at speed compared with my delta hpe hf which I suppose is no surprise but is the fastest thing on the planet at low revs due to the instant resonses of the supercharged engine) but I find that there is already inadequate traction for the low down power that it already has. You never get something for nothing so I figure that fuel consumption could be on the high side. Is there anyone out there who knows the answers?
Keith Turner

Unread post by Keith Turner »

I have VX Trevi & rebuilt the engine 3 years ago. I gasflowed the head, as the inlet tract of VX is restricted to improve low end torque but limits power at high revs, I opened the ports & smoothed the combustion chambers. I fitted an inlet camshaft from a normally aspirated 2000 engine - more valve overlap you can fit the exhaust camshaft but it will need machining to drive the distributor - not worth the hassle!? also fuel consumption would really suffer. As my original carburettor was badly worn I fitted a Weber 40DCNV Carburettor looks similar but larger chokes & manual choke. My Supercharger is driven by HDD belt & pulleys - half round tooth form not trapezoidal & heavier duty than usual belt - was standard on early Trevi VX probably too expensive so later models had ordinary belt. My pulley is 1 tooth smaller you may have to mod the tensioner to get the adjustment or put a bigger pulley on the power steering pump. These mods allow me to rev to 7000 rpm in all 5 gears & frighten the hell out of GTI drivers -Heh Heh.
The car is still very tractable 30 mph in 5th no problem, on a trip to France last year we got 25 mpg overall & I could stay with a collection of 4.2 & V12 Jaguars that accompanied us. I could leave a 4.2 XJ6 for dead , I had 15 mph over the top of his max speed.
Out of interest most of the advice for my engine mods came from Barry W
If you are feeling wealthy a firm in Germany called G+B Motorentechnic do all things Volumex tuning, rebuild Superchargers Phone 08441 71609 good but expensive.call me if you want more info on my engine 01792 363830 (Swansea)
Hamish

Unread post by Hamish »

I bow to keiths knowledge... I had also thought of belt problems etc and am looking to get a local precision engineering firm to make up a flanged pulley, hopefully for a fair bit less than anyone else is at present! Hadn't thought about problems re-tensioning the belts though...
I've been told its worth fitting the Fiat 130 TC Abarth inlet cam (if you can find one) in conjunction with a sidedraught carb, the Guy croft book says something similar I believe. According to somebody I've spoken to this bolts on at least 30 BHP, maybe this could be the way to go?
Peter

Unread post by Peter »

Hi Keith,
good job done! Now that the car is on the road for such long
time one can say it is well tested. These mods (like in the
Croft manual) I also intend to do to my VX.
So could you tell where did you get the pulleys (and belt),
and let us know about the carb setup like
size of choke
emulsion tubes
Main& air corrector jets
Idle jets
Starter jet.
Any Modification to the distibutor?
Factory valves and pistons (cr)?
Thanks

ps:Outlet cam can be from the i.e.?

For those who are interested:
I completed the first stage of spider tuning (DCNF/Alq.
no engine mods so far) Not yet extensive tested
(season plate) but unexpected results.
CHRIS

Unread post by CHRIS »

WELL IM FROM UTAH IN THE USA AN IM LOOKIN TO SOUP UP MY LANCIA BETA COUPE 81 WITH A 2.0 LITTER FUEL INJECTED. I WANT TO FIND A SUPERCHARGER OR A TURBO OR SOMETHIN ITS HARD TO FIND PERFORMANCE PARTS FOR MY CAR IN THE USA SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS OF WHAT I CAN DO TO MY CAR .I LIKE TO ILLEGAL DRAG RACE ON THE STREETS SO IM LOOKIN FOR MOR LOWER END BUT STILL GOOD HIGHWAY SPEEDS.IF YOU COME ACROSS ANYTHIN E-MAIL ME AT EITHER BigRed_Cowboy_S@yahoo.com or LANCIA_BETA1@SLCSTREETRACING.COM.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
Hamish

Unread post by Hamish »

Chris,
Drop me an email and I'll give you a few ideas/advice.
Cheers, Hamish.
Keith Turner

Unread post by Keith Turner »

Hi Peter
Sorry did not see this message owing to death of hard drive & loss of computer for a few days
I cannot tell you the settings of the carb as it was done by a local company not me the carb is fixed choke 2x40mm Weber DCNV fits standard manifold. Were available relatively cheap (150 pounds) from Weber has a manual choke & you will need to make up a linkage as the existing one does not fit.
The pulleys on my Trevi are as supplied by Lancia.Gates type HTD they have a round tooth form instead of the usual trapezoidal type you would have a problem because you would have to change all the pulleys. They are cheap enough to buy Davall Gears in Welham Green Hertfordshire or any Fenner Transmission Branch, they get expensive when you have to get them machined to fit the Crankshaft, P/Steering pump & the special taper on the Supercharger.
the Belt I used is Pirelli HTD 1200RPP8 or Fenner HTD1200 8m20 Do not fit a flanged pulley on the VX unit it is not necessary. I think that the standard type belt is OK & the pulleys are cheaper. you may have to increase the tensioner movement, or make a larger dia wheel.
Don't know about the ie cam it will drive the distributor ok but if you have too much overlap the power is great but half the fuel blows straight through the engine & the mpg's can drop to single figures! Distributor is standard

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”