Zagato gearbox

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
Steve Edwards

Zagato gearbox

Unread post by Steve Edwards »

Does anyone know if I can substitute a lower 5th gear from another Fiat into a Zagato. I want to lower the revs at freewary speeds. Thanks.
Matt Ludwig

Re: Zagato gearbox

Unread post by Matt Ludwig »

Not exactly, the Beta gearbox was engineered in conjunction with a French company (either Citroen or Peugot) and isn't quite like the other Fiat transmissions (it's much better). You could swap from another year Beta. You don't say what year your Zagato is but the fuel injected models ('81 and '82) have a different ratio than the '79 (I know of some whole '79 gearboxes for sale, one NOS). You could also check in a Scorpion or pre 2.0L Beta Coupe, Sedan, or HPE. A change in differential gears might make a bigger difference (if you can find one from an automatic it might work, but acceleration will suffer).

I honestly don't have any problem with my engine being at 4000rpm at 80mph, you will get great mileage since that's where your peak torque is, and I usually see between 30 and 33mpg at those speeds depending on winds (we have many in Kansas City).

Ciao,
Matt Ludwig
1981 Beta Zagato
david carere

Unread post by david carere »

Steve: I have an 81 Zagato here in Canada. My understanding is that this gear box is actually sourced from Citroen, and is not a Fiat product, so it is unlikely that the actual gears would be interchangable. Best of luck
Paul Valente

Unread post by Paul Valente »

Get that "Beta Collectors Guide" book by Brian Long. It has all the ratios in there for all the Betas (US and elsewhere) from what I can tell it seems to be accurate. You do have two options you know: change 5th OR the ring and pinion (well you could change both too, that would be three options).

I think it is an excellent idea and have toyed with doing it myself. I do a lot of freeway driving in my '81 Zagato and not a whole lot of drag racing. The problem is I enjoy the car too damn much to take it apart and be without it for any length of time :)

-Paul

PS Forth option: Install 31" monster mudder tires ;)
Timo Tilli

Unread post by Timo Tilli »

I do not know about the US models but here in Europe the Beta Berlina and HPE had longer legs than the Coupe and Spider, so it is easiest to swap the gearbox from them. I have a Spider and a HPE here in Finland and the difference is quite big, actually (HPE doing 130 km/h at 4000 rpm, Spider only 120 km/h the same rpm).

The gearbox is a Lancia design but was used also in the Citroen CX, for a while.
Peter Coupe

Unread post by Peter Coupe »

Hi
I was also looking into changing 5th gear. All Beta range cars have same 5th gear, all you can do is to change final drive ratio from VX, but that would decrease acceleration in all gears and unless you have some modifications done it wont be good idea to swap.
I have contacted Colotti in Italy and they can make different ratio 5th gear, which would cost 460 euro's.
If anyone is interested let me know.

Peter

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”