Lancia Meeting in UK Report & more

Information exchange about FIVA and other historic rallies, rally equipment, tips, navigator wanted, driver wanted etc etc
gamma a.i.

Lancia Meeting in UK Report & more

Unread post by gamma a.i. »

the now running smoothly black Lancia kC (without the sunshine - band) ran like a dream on this long-drive; with no real very much thrilling high-speeds being driven; crossing the channel 2x was smooth-sailing; fun chat with nice car-people, each of us drinking 1 english beer per 2 hour crossing & catching some "instant-sleep". Amazing what a 45 minute nap can do for the exhausted !!!

The Annual UK gamma event was - as always - wonderfully out-doing the last meeting or at least trying to.

I was blessed with a lovely kC co-Piloti on Sunday...we followed her dad's (lent for the Meeting by another gammisti, driving a gammaB) gammaC. We did no navigating according to the route plan ourselves.. Phew !

We all went to interesting places... ridin-in-style in others folks fine Lancia..places that I (&some others) would otherwise never visit.

It is a thrill to speak English with English speaking people again, although one scene (honestly) at an intersection in the London outskirts was just-wierd. Several 3/4 naked shoeless young men in a downpour running up the hill blocking traffic then turning around to run toward the cars that were proceding quite slowly behind them, including 1 kC.
2 of them guys decided to crawl all over that kC, saying funny things. 1 said "let me in, I'll pay you a lot of money to take me home"; I said "no-thanks mate, I got my own money ! They all were laughing & seemed to be non-dangerous, only rather stupid. I spoke to the2 gents on the hood/roof thru a cracked window...asking nicely "please go climb on the car behind me & not on my car, as I drove at 1mph ! After some time they did. I & others awaited at the top of the hill for the other cars in our little group & soon proceeded on ... shaking our heads & wondering WHF ? was that all about ?

What were we doing driving away from the Motorway toward; into & thru central London center at 03:00 ?
Well, the Motorway was closed for repairs & we all -in convoy- followed the detour signs. I didn't mind driving past many famousLondon buildings, after all I was a tourist.
At every red light, of which there were many, everyone was chatting with everyone else; no seemed to be upset.

Delivery Vans, a Saab Cabrio, a Mercedes Coupe, severel Ford & Vux, a big Jag & in the city center joined by a Lambo; on we proceeded together until we entered the Motorway heading west.
Later, during a break I checked for scratches & found no new ones ! I also slept on the back-seat for 5 hours before continuing a wonderful drive to Bristol; usually staying in the slow lane & being passed by almost everyone; then searching for the correct routeto the Hotel thru quaint villages....sometimes driving through the villages 2 or 3 times, always in a new direction. SATNAV had already packed-up in BE for the rest of the trip. I found the hotel & had lots time
to hand-wash & towel dry the car, before it started raining again !

ha ha, a shiny mud-free kC met greeted the arriving muddy gC. Getting to the hill-top Hotel required some semi-cross-country wet laefy muddy travel ! As they arrived I was in the very- crowded bar; having been invited to a wedding-party. OK, thank you very much I said; I did not kiss the bride! She, nor no other Ladies, entered the bar room! I did not go out on the terrace to smoke a cigar; but I went out anyway; tripping 2x on the trick stairs, to everyones amusement.
It stared raining again, se we retired to ...where else ? The bar agai, where the gents assisted me in comparing the local-very-warm-brews. They were all fine ! I was very very tired.
The Gammisti arrived, 1 by 1, 15 in all & joined me (now alone) in the bar for a much needed drink.

I was the 1st one down to the dining room for my English-Breakfast; I had - of-course, forgoten to reset my watch; thus I had 1 hour to wander thru, down, over & around the Hotel Park.......very wet, quite muddy & a bit chilly, just exhilerating it was, wasn't it ? Yes, it was! No one joined me...except the dog.

On the trip over to Dover & back to Dunkirk, somehow, I do not know how nor why - I was sometimes in FR when I thought I was in BE or still in BE when I thought I'd just entered LUX...in any case I & SATNAV found several wrong exits & (once again) to the wrong highways in BE thus driving several km more than planned..........

Thnk hvns there was no-heavy-traffic anywhere on the trip; so my time plan was kept °!.

In April2014 the same Lancia Event, more or less, this time with various model Lancisti from many more Lands..will be held at the Hockenheim Ring Race track....more details as we proceed merrily a long long long time
Edit Reply Quote Report
Mark Read Follow Topic
Subject Author Views Posted
NEW kC (for us)
gamma a.i. 327 19 February 2013 03:14PM
Re: NEW kC (for us)
gamma a.i.

Return to “20 Historic Rallies on Lancia”