LED headlights/Recurring blown fuse #7

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
badbadchimp

LED headlights/Recurring blown fuse #7

Unread post by badbadchimp »

I have read the article on Fulvia headlamps on this formum, which is very informative (https://viva-lancia.com/fulvia/qanda/el ... lights.php).

I am not particularly good with electronics but I know this:

My 1967 S1 Fulvia 1.3 Rallye keeps blowing a fuse every time I try to switch on the high beams. The outer lights work fine. When I pull the light swith out a second time, the inner headlamps don't turn on but when I push the indicator stalk on the steering column forward, the inner headlamps turn on in what I presume is the high beam power. But almost immediately after they come on, Fuse #7 blows. I have replaced it twice and it keeps happening.

I have checked the engine bay for frayed wires, corrosion, bad connections, and poorly grounded wires, but I can't find anything. I am a very bad diagnostician when it comes to anything electrical in a car. Reading the article I wonder if I may be missing a relay for Fuse 7, which seems to control the horns and inner headlamps. Could that be the problem? And could I circumvent the issue altogether by simple installing LED bulbs in the headlamps instead of whatever is in there presently?

Do they even make LEDs for the S1 headlamps? And, if so, would the lower power draw from LEDs save Fuse 7 from blowing every time?
deltalxdoc

Re: LED headlights/Recurring blown fuse #7

Unread post by deltalxdoc »

Are You sure to use the right fuse (A) ? Italian colors for the fuses are different from
the French one, and it's more simple to find the french type (Norauto)
instead of the the correct one.
For example:
ITA 5A Yellow - 8A Black - 16A Green - 25A Brown - 40A Red
DIN/FRA 5A Yellow - 8A White - 16 Red - 25A Blue

Please, don't install LED lamps on on an old lady ... :roll:
bmarler

Unread post by bmarler »

i would try unplugging the inner lights and then see if the fuse blows under the same conditions. also look at the lights to verify how many watts the filament draws. and of course, as has been mentioned, check the size of the fuse.
badbadchimp

Unread post by badbadchimp »

Thanks for the tips so far. Yes, the fuse is correct (16A). At least that is what all the forums say it should be and what the old manuals and wiring diagrams say. The fuses I have are red but they are 16A. I will try to disconnect the headlamps and also check the bulbs. Chasing down ghosts and shorts and connections is such a drag but I may just have to keep trying.

Return to “65 Fulvia”