The following are not working on my Fulvia:
1) Horn
2) Center Steering Wheel High Beam Flasher Button
3) High Beam Switch on Turn Signal Stalk
4) Interior Light
5) Under-Hood Light
6) Cigar Lighter
7) Clock

I’m most concerned about the horn not working.

I’ve done the following so far:
1) Checked all fuses – all are good.
2) Cleaned all fuse holders – all clean.
3) Ran a jumper wire to the horns to see if they work – they do work.
4) Found a broken wire coming down the steering column and reattached it to the Bakelite Ring with the Copper Ring at the steering box – fixed.
5) Checked the Copper “feeler” that rides on the Copper Ring in #4 (above) – It’s touching.
6) Checked both buttons on the steering wheel center – both appear to be good.
7) Checked for power at base of steering column on the Bakelite/Copper Ring and the “Feeler” (both key on & off) – nothing.
8) Checked for power at fuse #7 (both key on & off) – nothing on either side of the fuse.

I have a chart that states the following about the #7 fuse (but it’s from a Series 2):

“Fuse 7: Horn, Fog Lights (inner headlights), Radio, Interior Courtesy Light, Door Edge Courtesy Lights, High Beam Headlight Flasher, Clock (absent on 1600HF)”

With the exception of the cigar lighter and under-hood light that’s everything that’s not working on my car.

It appears that the 3 pin relay on the right top side of the fuse box feeds the #7 fuse, but I’m not 100% sure.
Can anyone verify this?

I’d appreciate any thoughts on next steps to fix this issue.

I’m not the best troubleshooter but I try, so take it easy on me! LOL

Thanks in advance!
Tony
marnix

Re: 1965 Lancia Fulvia Electrical “Gremlins”

Unread post by marnix »

OK, let me try if I can download a nice (colored) wiring diagram for a series one. If It shows, then it worked...

[attachment=0]wiring_s1fulvia68_75.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
wiring_s1fulvia68_75.jpg
phill

Unread post by phill »

Hi - like you I'm no electrical expert but I've found that it's worth checking all the earth connections before delving into other stuff too deeply.
georges2

Unread post by georges2 »

Hi Vespa
I just read your message with the listed problems
I have a 1300 Fulvia (1st serie) and I spent hundreds of hours to check the wiring...
You write : It appears that the 3 pin relay on the right top side of the fuse box feeds the #7 fuse, but I’m not 100% sure.
Can anyone verify this?

In fact the separate fuse (in the fuse drawer) feeds the klaxon relay with + (brown wire coming from number 6 fuse) and the ground signal comes from the contact in the steering column; the relay sends + via a yellow wire
this separate fuse also feeds the cigar lighter (and nothing else according to the wiring diagram)
This separate fuse is shown on the wiring diagram for 818 130 and 330 coupés and is given n°73 on the diagram, but forgoten in the list of things...

Please see pictures : you can see the reverse of the contacting parts :

About contact for the flash light is in the center, through a spring, the wire comes from the center of the column, and must be solded (en français "soudé") under the small copper plate; this wire should go to the main light contact on the dashboard : a piece of art ! (and a misery source....). I have made a new wiring with one relay for flash light, one for main beam, another for "low beam" so there is much less electricity inside the dash contact.

About the horn button : the signal coming from the "push button" in the center o the driving wheel is a "ground" signal : so you have to check that the wires in the steering column are OK and can drive a "ground" signal when pushing the button
The 2 horn contacts should be in "graphite" which is a charcoal material; you can find them in paper writing pencils for childern, and are fitted with small copper springs.

About the lights when opening door or boot, the contacts also drive "ground" signal
I hope this helps; reading and understanding a wiring system is a good exercice....

All the best
Attachments
volant DSCN8244.jpg
contact flash c.JPG
cablage colonne direction c.JPG
tete colonne direction.jpg
georges2

Unread post by georges2 »

Hi again
About klaxon, I missed to mention the rotating contact at the foot of the steering column : check if it is clean and oprrate in any position
contact rotat klaxon pied colonne dir c.jpg

Return to “65 Fulvia”