Rear suspension set-up

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
Radman

Rear suspension set-up

Unread post by Radman »

Hi,
i think this topic has been covered many times but may I beg the indulgence once more for an idiot guide to how this is done?
I have a series 2 FulviaSport which is reaching the end of a long restoration. The lads helping me with this have never done a Fulvia before and have simply bolted everything together which included 2 unused springs found online from the estate of a Lancia collector, the originals were completely shot. This resulted in a stupidly high ride height, made worse because they had the brackets fitted incorrectly as well. Once this was rectified 2 or leaves 3 were removed from the springs to bring the car down to something looking reasonable. However the car is undriveable as it basically wants to take off whenever it hits a bump.
I pointed out that I had seen information regarding loading the car with weight when fitting the springs but we don't fully understand exactly how this is done.
I would really appreciate if someone could kindly explain the procedure or point me to a resource where this is covered from scratch.
Just about everything bar a proper tune and balance of the Dellortos is now complete following the recent fitting of the 123 Ignition and I really would like to get the rebuilt engine run in in time for the Italian car day planned for the end of May at Newby Hall not far from where I live in North Yorkshire.
Kind regards from a new forum member,

Jem.
bmarler

Re: Rear suspension set-up

Unread post by bmarler »

jem,
you should aim to run the spring for the car as designed. there are dimensions for it in the data book. i can't remember how many leaves offhand, but it should be easy enough to find out.
a lot of cars, fulvia included, need the suspension to be set in the operating position. the rubber isolators only have a certain range of motion so you need to set them sort of mid-stroke.to get it right, loosen every bolt holding the springs, panhard, shocks. look at any bolt that is a pivot point. those should all be loosened. they don't need to be so loose they can fall out or anything, just loose enough to be able to rotate freely.
i like to put the car on axle stands so it's got a rigid mounting. load the read of the car with whatever weight you can find till you get it to the dimension called out in the manual. tighten (torque) all the bolts at this position then unload the boot.
there are many jokes about getting your wife and her sister to sit in the boot, but i actually prefer to use sand bags. my wife is pretty tiny.
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Right. About putting everything in the sort of center position when torquing. If not the rubbers will tear.

The schackle block at the top of the swing at the rear of the rear springs is different. If the shackle block is original I use the torquing position to play a bit with the ride height at the rear. If it is imitation I torque it in the vertical position.

It sounds as if mentioned swing is horizontal. It should be vertical.

Six leaves at the rear and 6 at the front.
Radman

Unread post by Radman »

Thank-you both, that gives us something to work with. I have read somewhere else that the dimension you refer to when the car is weighed down enough is 7.5-8cm but presently have mislaid the forum post where I saw where the measurement was taken. I will have another look at the shackles holding the springs, I think they were the originals, I don't recall trying to get replacements.
Thanks again, I will update with progress and maybe some photos!

Jem.
Radman

Unread post by Radman »

Update.
Well we finally got round to fitting some Delphi deCarbon rear shocks which I acquired in nearly new condition in place of the Konis and the difference is remarkable. The car now has some rear compliance and the rebound harshness has basically gone.
The ride height is pretty acceptable and this is the best it has driven since being reassembled.
I really feel we have taken a big step forward.
Now to deal with the play in the steering and get a firmer brake pedal plus balance the carbs...
:D
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Don't forget to check the cardanic joints in the steering column. Since two years ago these are the most frequent cause of play.
Radman

Unread post by Radman »

Thanks Huib, we will be looking at this tomorrow.
The Dellorto carbs were finally balanced properly today for the first time since the engine rebuild and I am informed the engine now goes pretty well...
Can't wait to take it for a run in the morning.

Jem

Return to “65 Fulvia”