Solex Carb - Missing Venturi?

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
mpter

Solex Carb - Missing Venturi?

Unread post by mpter »

Hi,

I would need some help with with a Solex Phh C35 (as you can see we miss the version No. stamping).
We are new to this carb, and we suspect that is missing its venturi (choke). Could someone help with it?

We are also looking for a Solex Phh C35 workshop manual to get to know the carb better.

Note: The car works well with full throttle, but half throttle and from low rpms, it stalls.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Peter
Attachments
solex-4.jpg
solex-3.jpg
solex-2.jpg
solex-1.jpg
mpter

Re: Solex Carb - Missing Venturi?

Unread post by mpter »

solex-4.jpg
solex-3.jpg
solex-2.jpg
solex-1.jpg
marnix

Unread post by marnix »

The C.35 PHH carburetors have the choke integrated in the cast, it is not a separate part. If you look closely, you will see that the tube narrows going to the butterflies, and then widens again at the butterflies. On the small roundel is the figure "31", and the is the integrated choke size, 31mm. It is for a 818.303 engine.

There is no workshop manual from Solex for the C.35 PHH, and very few explanation on how it works. There is a thick manual from Lancia on maintenance for different types of Lancia carburetors, but they do only explain how to do maintenance, not explain how they work really. The best part that explains is a small description of the of the PHH carbs (not only the C.35), but then I need to find out how I can get a pdf document to you.
marnix

Unread post by marnix »

The version number IS stamped in, but it is not very clearly visible. These are C.35 PHH 23 (version number 23)
mpter

Unread post by mpter »

Thank you for all the information. I have found the attached things in the meantime, should you have any more descriptions, that would be highly appreciated! Peter
Attachments
solex-35-2.gif
solex-35-1.pdf
(445.66 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
marnix

Unread post by marnix »

Included pdf is a brief description of the operation, explaining the key parts of the PHH carburettors. It is not much, but at least may help a little bit to understand the most important aspects.
Attachments
funzionamento PHH.pdf
(96.67 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
marnix

Unread post by marnix »

I noticed that the previous pdf file was bad quality (not sharp). It was due to trying to to compress the pdf so much as to be able to download it here. The included file her contains only the essential parts, and hopefully will fit here...

[attachment=0]funzionamente PHH.pdf[/attachment]
Attachments
funzionamente PHH.pdf
(568.85 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
mpter

Unread post by mpter »

Might be short, but good the have the basics clear! Thank you very much!
marnix

Unread post by marnix »

There is a Lancia maintenance manual for all carburetors of the Flaminia-Flavia-Fulvia family (and another one that is similar, for the Beta carburetors), it is called AST 1123. It is almost and entire book, some 60 pages in all. The reason that I am hesitating to post it is that they use and refer to some specific special Lancia tools that are almost impossible to find, and without those the whole procedure does not make much sense, apart from some general cleaning instructions. I was able to assemble equivalent tools, but at a very high (money) cost, which is not economic if it is for the restoration of only one or a few carburetors. And the book is in Italian, I am translating it English but takes much time and effort, and I need to scan all the pages. And I can't really post it here, the document is very large in pdf form.

If there are questions, I can try to answer them. But it is generally very difficult to diagnose carburetor problems remotely without being able to physically have a look at them and testing them on the car.
mpter

Unread post by mpter »

Yes I would have a further question. We have found the Volume Control Screw pretty easy to turn. There was no washers or O-ring used. It also gives a bit of air leak of the carb.
I have checked on the parts catalogue where the Volume Control Screw (95) has some kind of washer (45). Could you please advise me, what kind of washer is to be used to have an adequate sealing.

Thank you in advance, Peter
Attachments
parts-re.jpg
solex.jpg

Return to “65 Fulvia”