S1 upper arms silent block

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
piggdekk

S1 upper arms silent block

Unread post by piggdekk »

Hello,
I believe I made a mistake when I took apart the silent blocks of the upper arms of my S1. The silen block seems to be made of 3 parts. The rubber grommet that sits into the cast alloy tower, an inner plastic sleeve (like nylon with a shape very similar to a motorbike handle) and a metallic insert with a similar shape that goes between the bolt and the nylon piece.
The system seems to be beatifully engineered since the arm rotates around a lubricated metal bushing, but vibration are smoothed by the rubber grommet. In addition play is eliminated adding shims on either side of the cast alloy tower. While I was taking everything apart I thought that the plastic sleeve was supplied with the rubber grommet, and since they were very badly stuck in I destroyed them. Do You guys know where I can source them? Or maybe should I have them made in some oil resistant plastic?
many thanks
luca
20201108_200222.jpg
20201108_200218.jpg
Huib
Site Admin

Re: S1 upper arms silent block

Unread post by Huib »

I see 3 postings. Can I delete 2?
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

It is beautifully engineered.

Try Ferrari.
piggdekk

Apologies, for the 3 posts, please do delete them.
It was funny the first time I saw the way control arms work on S1 it reminded me of an upgrade available for 911's:

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/ ... -bearings/

I believe they've even patented it, too bad Lancia did it 50 years before.
luca
LanciaFin

Unread post by LanciaFin »

I turned new sleeves from POM plastic for my Flavia. Couldn't find new parts anywhere, except the rubber bushes were sourced from South Africa. The grease grooves were a problem, and I made them freehand. Not pretty, but hopefully works enough.

BR,
Miika
piggdekk

I think I will need to do the same. Do also the lower arms have the same system? I did not find the metal sleve inside, now I'm worried I threw it away!
I wonder if I can get them 3d printed, probably easier to groove them and I could use Nylon?
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

The system at the bottom is similar in the Series 1 cars

The Series 2 had silent blocs. First at the bottom only and later also at the top. Your bottom ones may have been converted to the silent blocs as the bottom ones often wear quicker.

It is also possible to convert the top ones to silent blocs. Sets to do that are available. However, they are not correct.

The thread on the bolts in those sets is not metric fine. The length of the spacer bushes at the top is not correct. The thread on the bolts at the bottom is too long or rather the unthreaded part is too short so the bolt is not centered well in the opposite hole.

I do machine my own parts. Bolts and bushes from stainless steel with correct thread and dimensions. Nuts are all metal self locking from zinc plated steel. If any interest I can make another batch.

For driving the car, the conversion is ok. For originality it is not.
piggdekk

Thanks Huib,
I don't want to update to series 2 as I said I find the design excellent and I much rather stick with it. I will review what is in good conditions and what needs replacing and let You know. Bolts and metal bushings are fine, only the plastic ones need to be rebuilt. On the bottom ones I have no idea why I couldn't find the metal sleeves, I will check if they still are in the trash bin.
Thanks.
luca
piggdekk

I have created my own bushings with 3d printing!
The internals are identical to the original ones (left in the picture) and the material is oil resistant plastic, filled with carbon fiber, and reinforced with a fiberglass wire laid down during 3d printing.
If You're interested let me know and I can make more batches. I'm using a professional printing service with the correct printers as this is not a cheap printer!
regards
luca
20210112_190156.jpg
20210112_190057.jpg
20210112_190131.jpg
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Brilliant Luca. Good job!

The original is indeed much nicer than the later silent blocs.

There is a subtle difference in driving too.

Return to “65 Fulvia”