Ignition timing point

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
bmarler

Re: Ignition timing point

Unread post by bmarler »

if i remember correctly, (and my memory is a little fuzzy on this) with the strobe that has no advance function, the mark would be about 2-1/2 teeth early. that puts it almost out of sight of the window.
impaw

Unread post by impaw »

Thank you!
That sounds correct 👍
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Right.

TDC is marked with 0 on top of the corresponding tooth. I always paint that tooth white.

Then I use spanner 24 on the bolt of the crankshaft pulley to turn the flywheel 2 and a half teeth cccw. The space between teeth 2 and 3 I paint red.

Using the strobe I set ignition to the red mark.

Remember the 4 cilinder 123 should make at least 560 crankshaft rpm for the electronics to work correctly. When timing a Fulvia the engine rpm should be under 1000 rpm.
impaw

Unread post by impaw »

Thank you Huib!
Janturbo

Unread post by Janturbo »

Hello,

can someone tell me how the ignition timing on the 4 cylinders works correctly with a fulvia 13S version 3? since this is a V4 engine with an angle of 13 degrees, this correction should be visible in the delco in order to always get a pre-ignition of 8 degrees on all cylinders. I see the ignition is divided over 90 degrees in the interior of the delco head. this is also the case on my electronic ignition that is now used.

regards
fhughes

Unread post by fhughes »

Hello,
the fact that you have an electronic ignition system should make it easier to manage the ignition timing as you can set the advance with much greater precision than with a mechanical distributor. The angle of 13 degrees is indeed a correction to compensate for the V4 configuration, but this does not mean that the ignition has to be advanced 8 degrees on all cylinders simultaneously. In fact, it is best to set the timing so that each cylinder's ignition advance is slightly different in order to avoid any detonation or knocking problems.
In terms of how the ignition works with your Fulvia, it would be helpful if you could provide more information on the make and model of your electronic ignition system. Is it a Delco, Autolite or another brand? Does it have a separate coil for each cylinder, or is it a distributorless system? This will help us to give you more specific advice on how to set up the timing correctly.
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

The V angle of the cylinders is compensated for by the angle of the cranks of the crankshaft. The angle between ignitions is always 180 crankshaft degrees or 90 distributor degrees.
fhughes

Unread post by fhughes »

If you are using a separate coil for each cylinder and the spark plugs have been correctly installed in the heads, then there should be no reason why your Fulvia's ignition timing should not work correctly. The key is to ensure that you set up the system so that the timing is optimized for each individual engine cycle, which means adjusting the advance on a cylinder-by-cylinder basis rather than attempting to set it uniformly across all four cylinders at once.
To do this, you will need to use an ignition timing light or strobe to measure the position of the pistons during each engine cycle. You can then adjust the advance on a cylinder-by-cylinder basis until you achieve the best results, with smooth running and low levels of knocking or detonation.
If you are struggling to get your Fulvia's ignition timing set up correctly, it might be worth taking it to a professional mechanic who has experience working on Lancia cars. They will be able to diagnose any issues quickly and recommend the best course of action for getting your car back on the road.
Good luck!
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Be careful not to set the fixed advance at more than 8 degrees on engines with a not nitrated crankshaft. With a nitrated crankshaft you can go to 10 degrees. Also check that the dynamic advance mechanism functions ok.

The Fulvia crankshaft has only 3 main bearings. It flexes quite a bit more than crankshafts of 4 in line engines which have 5 main bearings.

Most of the time we nitrate crankshafts nowadays.
Old Sparky

Unread post by Old Sparky »

At last thanks to Huib it is clear how I can set timing on my S! with no timing marks (and I have looked high and low) 2&1/2 teeth it is and red paint (One thought - is there any variation depending on number of teeth on ring gear though as think there were 2 types?)

Old Sparky - new owner with pick up problems from stopped.

Return to “65 Fulvia”