Fulvia Ignition switch

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
Ed Levin

Re: Fulvia Ignition switch

Unread post by Ed Levin »

I'll second Andrea's comment. Check the grounds for continuity. I always say that 90% of all electrical problems are grounds. And of the other 10%, half of them are grounds, too...
foggy

Unread post by foggy »

Just to update on this now common problem it was the ignition switch. Once replaced no problems since, either not starting or cutting out when applying indicators. Hope this helps.
bmxer

Unread post by bmxer »

Hey guys,

it seems I have the same problem.
Suddenly after der German TÜV my Fulvia Series 3 won't start.

After checking all the details it seems the ignition switch operates the starter but not the coil.

Therefore my question will be: ist there any chance to repair the swith in order to keep the original key?
I mean a replacement part seems to be affordable but this means also a new key what I would like to avoid.

Thanks for your answers/ tips and have a great start into the the week,
Erwin
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

The original locks are repairable. Not that difficult. For me too long ago to remember exactly how to do it.

The aftermarket ones are not repairable.
bmxer

Unread post by bmxer »

Thank you Huib!

I will give it a try and let you know if the mission succeeded.
foggy

Unread post by foggy »

to get it going just join the one and two fuse together (From the left of the fuse box) the car will start straight away but you will not be able to leave the key in the steering lock position as the ignition will come back on again, try it and you will see what I mean. I would buy new and you get two new keys with the lock. Good luck!
Vive les Fulvia

Unread post by Vive les Fulvia »

Thread resurrection:

I think my Fulvia has a similar problem. Battery is fully charged and the ignition lights are on. Then when trying to start her the engine turns over and gets sluggish as if the battery if dying. Thereafter, there is no ignition light on the dash and the starter does not turn.

The ignition barrel is the original and judging by the key somewhat worn. Any ideas tips are appreciated.
piggdekk

Unread post by piggdekk »

I guess short of buying a new ignition barrel You can try to rebuild yours. That said would it be a bad idea to add a relay to activate the starter solenoid? It still takes a fair amount of power to pull in the solenoid and activate the starter engine, wouldn't a relay reduce the load on the ignition switch and extend its life? Looks like is gets overheated when You attemp to start the engine and in that case the main load is the solenoid. I would also clean up the solenoid and the mechanism that pulls the starter gear to reduce the load on the switch. They can get notchy and the solenoid may not be pulled in enough to create a good contact, this is why it feels like the battery is weak even though it's not.

I would still check the tension at the starter when You operate the starter. You need to measure both the tension at the solenoid contacts and at the starter contact itself (the large wire that goes derictly to the starter). If the tension at the solenoid contact drops (say below 12V) but the tension at the starter does not then the problem is most likely the ignition barrel. If the tension at the starter drops too, then check Your engine ground connection, and of course the positive lead to the starter.
luca
bmarler

Unread post by bmarler »

[quote="Vive les Fulvia" post_id=1424671 time=1603719361 user_id=66561]
Thread resurrection:

I think my Fulvia has a similar problem. Battery is fully charged and the ignition lights are on. Then when trying to start her the engine turns over and gets sluggish as if the battery if dying. Thereafter, there is no ignition light on the dash and the starter does not turn.

The ignition barrel is the original and judging by the key somewhat worn. Any ideas tips are appreciated.
[/quote]

your symptoms generally indicate a poor connection like a bad battery cable or maybe a bad cable end. corrosion can happen under the cable insulation and be invisible. this also happens inside the cable end. you can see this if you put your volt meter leads on the battery itself as you crank the motor. note the voltage. then put the leads on the cable at the battery and then the starter and do the test again. you can narrow down the problem area that way. be sure to properly clean all battery connections before doing this testing.
Vive les Fulvia

Unread post by Vive les Fulvia »

Thanks bmarler and piggdeck

Just to recap. Ignition light and starter was originally working fine. At the next attempt it sounded like the battery was dying because the engine barely turning over. Then it appeared the battery died and there was no ignition light. Recharged the battery overnight and still no ignition light or anything. I even hooked it up to the family wagon to jump start and still no ignition light.

I removed and cleaned the ignition barrel. There was some wear to the three contacts but not enough to prevent a good contact. With a fully charged battery and the key turned to position two there is no ignition light. I have checked and cleaned all fuses and contacts.

Next step will be to check all the wires going to the starter and the starter solenoid.

What I would like to know is why there is no ignition light?

The car is a S1 coupe

Return to “65 Fulvia”