Fulvia Ignition switch

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
foggy

Fulvia Ignition switch

Unread post by foggy »

I've now got another Fulvia with an ignition fault. Is this something that affects older cars now? when I turn on the ignition sometimes the generator light does not illuminate but the car turns over and will not fire, I turn off the ignition and back on again the gen light comes on and the car starts? sometimes I have to turn the key on and off a few times for the light to come on. Is there a fix or is it a new barrel and key? I've got this on two Fulvias now and never had it before. Thanks.
Huib
Site Admin

Re: Fulvia Ignition switch

Unread post by Huib »

Could be the contacts in the lock. If I remember correctly, original Lancia locks can be disassembled and overhauled. If your car does already have an aftermarket lock you have to replace it.
LanciaFin

Unread post by LanciaFin »

I don't know Fulvias very well, but I suppose that their ignition lock is similar with Flavias. The contactors are probably worn out. It is possible to refurbish them with certain skills, or have them refurbished. See this: http://www.viva-lancia.com/lancia_fora/ ... sg-1393505 BR, Miika
foggy

Unread post by foggy »

Lanciafin, Thanks for the info, I'll ask him. Huib, it has the original lock however I've had three Fulvias of late with Fiat / Beta ignitions fitted, this could be to resolve the problem I have. Today it just cut out while driving so had to quickly turn off and on again! lol
Andrea Nistri

Unread post by Andrea Nistri »

Also worth checking that the #1 fuse (nearest to the left side) is in perfect conditions and that its contacts are very clean, Andrea
Andrea N.
foggy

Unread post by foggy »

Thanks Andrea, will do.
foggy

Unread post by foggy »

No problem with the fuses, just plugged another ignition switch in and still the same? light on and light off every other turn. I put a live from fuse 2 to fuse 1 and now working every time although if I turn the key to the steering lock position the ignition light comes back on so I have to leave it in the second position. Where is the problem? I have two Fulvias now with exactly the same fault! Huib Andrea?
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

That does point to the lock. Or the connector. I would keep the original lock. Just take it apart and clean thoroughly.
foggy

Unread post by foggy »

Thanks Huib, I will try the spare ignition on a perfectly good Fulvia I have and see if it still works, if not it's the barrel if it does it's a wire or connector fault. Strange I now have two cars with exactly the same fault? it must be quite a common thing?
Andrea Nistri

Unread post by Andrea Nistri »

Make sure you don't have a dodgy electrical ground somewhere, what you report is also suggestive of a poor ground connection. Please remember that Fulvia services are always connected to "live" and that they are switched on when they are connected to ground as well, Andrea
Andrea N.

Return to “65 Fulvia”