Matador Mirror Parts/Questions

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
grbbenny

Matador Mirror Parts/Questions

Unread post by grbbenny »

I recently had the Matador fender mirror on my car rechromed as the pot metal was very pitted. When taking it apart it became clear that at some point it had been reassembled in a really makeshift manner (or at least I assume that the mirror itself does not normally have a one inch square lump of black silicon adhesive stuck to the back of it). As well, the mirror was glued to the metal plate inside the housing so that the mirror was no longer adjustable. Does anyone have an exploded drawing of the parts that are supposed to be there (like those drawings shown in the Lancia Parts Manual)? What I really need is the plastic gasket that seats the round mirror itself in the housing - mine basically crumbled when I removed the mirror from the housing. I also need to understand what keeps the mirror face in place behind that gasket. Any thoughts on how the mirror was originally constructed and where to source the missing bits would be greatly appreciated. Graham
1970 Fulvia Sport 1.3S
Bryan

Re: Matador Mirror Parts/Questions

Unread post by Bryan »

Hi Graham, In preparation for a re-chrome of my mirror I bought a used one in Italy and mounted it on the car. I haven't got round to finishing the job so I could dismantle mine and send you some pictures to help you understand what it looks like. I hope mine is not the same as yours when I open it.
Bryan
LanciaFin

Unread post by LanciaFin »

Hi Graham, I don't think that there was originally any kind of gasket keeping the mirror glass in, just some kind of adhesive. I used gray Sikaflex 221. When applying, use soap water to get a nice finish. Rubber gloves are highly recommended. :) You also need a clamp to keep the glass in place until the adhesive has hardened. Behind the glass there is a big spring (similar like on window winder handles in Flavia and Flaminia, probably Fulvia too) and the metal plate with threads for the screw holding the housing on mirror leg. Best Regards, Miika
georges2

Unread post by georges2 »

Hi Benny Sorry to come late, and to speak rather bad english language (I am french) Reading the topic, it reminded to me that I had a worn external mirror somewhere, and these last days I tried to put my hand on it. Successfully See attached pictures, As you can see, the black hemisphere (receiving mirror on front face) has been opened (not by me !) and I suppose that the round metal sheet with drilled holes was extracted by this way. The guy who drilled was not a pro.... By insertinf this round plate in the black bowl, and screwing inside the long screw with the spring, the mirror should be firmly fixed and operational, no silicon adhesive needed On the pictures, you can see that the "plastic" gasket and rounded "silicon" one are damaged. Fortunalely, my Fulvia coupé has 2 similar mirrors in good condition ( written ARCA)
Attachments
matador 5 c.jpg
matador 5 c.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
matador 3 c.jpg
matador 3 c.jpg (68.01 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
matador 2 c.jpg
matador 2 c.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
matador 1c.jpg
matador 1c.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
georges2

Unread post by georges2 »

last picts The round metal sheet drilled to receive bolt and screw has a diameter slightly inferior to the "shell" part. I hope someday somebody will be able to make new plastic parts with a printer...
Attachments
matador 7 c.jpg
matador 7 c.jpg (48.68 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
matador 6 c.jpg
matador 6 c.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
matador 4 c.jpg
matador 4 c.jpg (60.39 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
grbbenny

Unread post by grbbenny »

@georges2 Thank you very much for these photos - very very helpful! The mirror is now back on the car - I ultimately ran a very thin bead of silicone around the outside of the mirror and it seems to be working well. If only I had steadier hands!

Graham

Return to “65 Fulvia”