Series 1 starter questions

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
lancia7550

Series 1 starter questions

Unread post by lancia7550 »

My Series 1 Fulvia coupe is developing an intermittent issue where the starter would keep running after I release the key.

Plan is to start by cleaning/ sericing the ignition switch and lubricating it with some graphite powder.

If this fails, can it be due to the starter relay failing?

Also looking at options if anything needs to be repaired on the starter. My car has a Bosch starter and I have looked online and the parts like the solenoid look pretty hard to find. Ducellier parts appear a bit more common and exchange units are usually Ducellier. Are Ducellier and Bosch starters interchangable/ are the pinion gears the same?

I also came across some modern starters as well that are adapted for S1 Fulvias. Does anyone have any experience with these? Again, I don't want to risk going this route only to find out it doesn't fit if my Bosch pinion gear is perhaps different from the Ducellier.

Any insights would be appreciated...

Thanks!
lancia7550

Re: Series 1 starter questions

Pics of Bosch starter
Attachments
20211113_141656_compress96.jpg
20211113_141706_compress16.jpg
bmarler

Unread post by bmarler »

many times it's the starter bendix sticking in the engaged position. this may hold on the contact for the motor to keep spinning.
while it's possible the ignition switch is holding on, i think it's much more likely the problem is within the starter itself. sometimes simply removing the starter, disassemble and clean, possibly new bendix (look for burrs on this assembly) , will cure the problem.
lancia7550

Thanks you, I will take the starter out and clean/ lubricate bendix to see if it fixes it.
bmarler

Unread post by bmarler »

while you have the starter out on the bench, look at the large contact that makes the connection when the solenoid is engaged. sometimes the contact can weld itself together and make the starter hold on. usually, this contact is a copper stud, and can be pushed out and rotated so a more un-worn out portion of the contact can be used. the contact can also be filed to remove any burrs.
my description may not exactly be clear, but you'll see what i mean when you have it apart.

Return to “65 Fulvia”