Fulvia Ignition switch

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
Huib
Site Admin

Re: Fulvia Ignition switch

Unread post by Huib »

I would put the regulator at the top of the suspects list. If it is still the original Bosch electromechanical thing, replace that with an electronic one.

The output side of the regulator has two thick red wires and a small black one. One red goes to battery. 2nd red goes inside the car to fuse box. The black one comes from the ignition light. Pull the black one from the regulator and connect it to ground. Turn the key to position 2. The light should go on. If not, the bulb is gone or a fuse has blown.
Vive les Fulvia

Unread post by Vive les Fulvia »

Huib wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 18:19 I would put the regulator at the top of the suspects list. If it is still the original Bosch electromechanical thing, replace that with an electronic one.

The output side of the regulator has two thick red wires and a small black one. One red goes to battery. 2nd red goes inside the car to fuse box. The black one comes from the ignition light. Pull the black one from the regulator and connect it to ground. Turn the key to position 2. The light should go on. If not, the bulb is gone or a fuse has blown.
I cleaned all connectors to the regulator, checked dash bulbs and tried the earthing test. No ignition light at any point but the starter did turn the engine, very sluggishly, then nothing. A tap of the solenoid got it working again, sluggishly, and then nothing. So my next step is to remove the solenoid and hook it up to a 12v and check its functioning.

Any other tips on the ignition light?
Do you, or anyone else know, if the starter motor is serviceable. i.e. new bushes etc?
bmarler

Unread post by bmarler »

yes, the starter is serviceable. but did you do the voltage tests i suggested earlier? did you test and check the battery primary cables and their connections?
if the starter turns slow, either the battery, primary cables, or starter are having issues. that's a pretty small list of things to check. the battery can be load tested with a carbon pile tester to see if it can deliver the amps required. the cables can be visually inspected for corrosion and tested with a volt meter for ohms and voltage drop.
if both of those things are in good condition i would move to the starter. the solenoid can be removed, disassembled and cleaned. the motor can be cleaned, com turned, and new brushes installed. any competent starter rebuilding service can do this for you.
remember, the small wires are only responsible for engaging the starter, not spinning it. once the starter has been engaged, the three things i mentioned are responsible.

Return to “65 Fulvia”